Author Topic: Teeter  (Read 8017 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Teeter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »
Okay.

We donít do that.  So one less thing to worry about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garypaula

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »
My previous post about the difference in the teeter for large and small dogs kind of missed the point I was actually trying to make.  Of course, the small dogs are only compared to the small dogs and large to large.  However, what I am stressing is that the experience of the teeter is entirely different for the larger and smaller dogs.  The larger dog simply goes on to the teeter and the next thing he knows, he is at the end of it and it is hitting the ground (oversimplification, I realize).  The small dog has to go to the yellow part of the teeter and then wait patiently while it eventually tips enough to hit the ground.  These are two very different experiences and, in many ways, can't be equated.  I don't think there is any other obstacle in agility where this is the case.  For example, the larger-striding dog may get up and over the A-Frame faster than the small dog, but the experience for both dogs is essentially the same.  To make the experience the same for all dogs on the teeter, you would have to use progressively heavier teeters as the dogs got bigger, so that they (also) had to learn to wait patiently in the yellow as the teeter slowly tipped to the ground.  Obviously, this is an absurd concept, but it illustrates my point.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
I agree with your point entirely,  Iím just not sure why it matters that the dogs are having a different experience?

Weave poles are vastly different for large and small dogs.  Large dogs need to flex their body and weave,  where as a small dog it becomes more of a slalom.

I understand the concept,  but unless those two groups are competing against each other I donít see where it causes an issue. 

BeckyAH

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
I agree with your point entirely,  Iím just not sure why it matters that the dogs are having a different experience?

Weave poles are vastly different for large and small dogs.  Large dogs need to flex their body and weave,  where as a small dog it becomes more of a slalom.

I understand the concept,  but unless those two groups are competing against each other I donít see where it causes an issue. 

THIS!

I will never do anything with a teeter if I have a choice, and since it'll be years and optional I have a choice so no big deal.   But to be clear, I don't love them so I'm not pushing for their inclusion here, but.

I have trained and competed with small and medium/large dogs and the experience is different with almost all the equipment, even the tunnels (those ribs can be a *thing* for the little dogs, the diameter can be one for big ones). Strides to get over the contacts.   The fact that the little ones pretty consistently feel the need to jump the bottom bar on hoops, even.   They all come with different challenges depending on the size, speed, and stride length of the dog. That's okay.

Just about the only way to avoid that, that I can think of, is to go to TDAA.

mstomel

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, are the new teeters more consistent? As I understand it the nadac issue with it was the teeter would fall with some force and that force would be absorbed by dog legs. But with a small dog I've found difficultly with the tip point being soo vastly different for her. I was just curious if this issue has been fixed too with the new teeters or just the force with which it hits the ground?

Billie Rosen

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 06:25:49 AM »
Out of curiosity, are the new teeters more consistent? As I understand it the nadac issue with it was the teeter would fall with some force and that force would be absorbed by dog legs. But with a small dog I've found difficultly with the tip point being soo vastly different for her. I was just curious if this issue has been fixed too with the new teeters or just the force with which it hits the ground?
redu

Many of the newer teeters are much better constructed and have ways of reducing the concussion.  Also, I think teaching methods are improved.  Our club has taught the teeter since the club started in 1993, and yes, some dogs don't like the teeter, but many do.  My dogs do teeters without any problem.  All that said, I think NADAC is fine without it and I don't know if there is a real need to bring it back.
Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klevír (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Trukín  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training

RobertStewart

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 07:58:02 AM »
I too love the teeter, I've had dogs that when I would relax and just let the dogs have the field, one would do the teeter over and over again on her own. It was kind of fun to watch that crazy girl.  My other do the teeter, mostly because we do USDAA and AKC.

That said, I have students who prefer NADAC because of their dogs issues with the teeter. People need to just calm down and we'll see what happens And as Chris mentioned it's an optional class. But then, all classes are really optional, aren't they? My one sheltie who doesn't see well, loves doing tunnelers and weavers, and hoopers, he's can't do jumps since he can't really see them, and he has a great old time doing those things. nothing else matters. Oddly he self rewards at the teeter.

People are way to quick to enter the melt down/tantrum zone. Agility has been for the 20+ years I've been involved, a constantly evolving sport. It will continue to change and grow as all sports do. I for one embrace it. (even when at first i don't like it)
Robert Stewart

NATCH-12, V-NATCH-10, AA-NATCH, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, VVD  Rocket Man

NATCH Sidheag, MXP2, MXJP2,  MFP, APD

Wynndzor, NCC, NAC, TGN, S-TN-E, O-WV-O, AX, AXJ, AXF,

At the Bridge

Ellie aka Mama Ellie
Misty Leigh
"Q

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
I have 4 dogs.  2 that do the teeter without an issue and 2 that don't do it at all.  To be fair, the 2 that don't do the teeter, I never really trained it either, they didn't like it so why bother if we are never going to use it.  Of the 2 that do it, the older one was taught back in 2009-2010 or so.  She never sees it in competition because we only do NADAC, but last year we went to a demo and she went over it with no issues.  She is not a super fast dog and is very steady on her feet so she knew to wait for it to go down before leaving.  The other dog is not quite 3.  We train where there is a teeter and I have a baby teeter in the back yard.  She learned on the baby teeter and it was her favorite piece of equipment in the yard for a long time.  When we started in class with the teeter, she did it, but the noise AFTER she was running away terrified her and she became afraid of the teeter.  We trained through it, and she is fine now and her performance is getting far better and faster.  2 weeks ago, we did an AKC trial for the first time.  They had a Clip and Go teeter and I was really impressed with it.  There was no crash at the end and the descent was slow and steady.  It did take longer for the smaller dogs, but it wasn't too bad.  I only saw one dog in open and novice have issues and fly off.  IMO he shouldn't have been out on the course anyway because he was totally out of control.  He had a ton of speed but he was also crashing bars, moving weave poles and took a flying leap off the a-frame.  I watched some of the elite level (smaller dogs) and didn't really see issues with it there either. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 10:36:30 AM »
I love the Clip & Go teeter! Kizzy started having trial teeter issues after a spectacular fly-off at a trial a couple of years ago. All of our AKC trials in this area of TN use the Clip & Go teeter and, thanks to the consistency, Kizzy is finally back to doing her teeter at trials again. Until we went to tryouts in MN this spring, and by run 3 she was leaving the side of the teeter again.... (not a Clip & Go, obviously)  :o  Thankfully at her first trial back home on the Clip & Go she was fine again.

What is this "pneumatic" teeter that NADAC is testing?
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
Pneumatic teeter is the clip n go design

garypaula

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 12:51:09 PM »
I'm not saying I want the teeter to come back in NADAC, but I watched a video of the "new" teeter and it was impressive.  It really seemed to level the playing field for all sizes of dogs.  I would encourage people to go look at the Clip & Go teeter on YouTube.

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 04:32:59 PM »
I love having the variety back.  I think TG was more fun with the 3 contact obstacles in the past and always wanted it back,  and it makes for an interesting challenge in distance challenges... if it's ever put in there.  AKC did teeters in FAST when I did it years ago.  Again, I look forward and hope to see it back in a future "premier" class!!
My young boy Tripp, was terrified of it for quite awhile until I did quite a bit of training on it for the Border Collie Nationals.  Now I can't keep him off of it.  He'll run over and do it on his own, "look at me, look what I did!!!!" And, he keeps repeating it.  It's so cute!!!  Again, I bought my friend's teeter just because my dogs love it and I think it's good for some core balance work. 
Lorrie Stelz
Kaiden: NATCH 15 V-NATCH 13 AA NATCH 4 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT BN RI MX MXJ MXF EGS-V TKI IT
Tripp: NATCH 7 V-NATCH 6 AA NATCH 4 BB's Embrace The Journey CD BN RN EGS TKI IT
Sketch: BB's Nothin' But A Good Time TKI IT
& ret NATCH 8, VersNATCH 5 Chaney

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 12:22:04 AM »
 I've read everything Chris and Amanda had to say. And I understand it would be in a separate class, but without knowing more about the specifics about that, I can't comment on that. But I am one of those that would not be happy to see the teeter come back. Perhaps my mind could be changed. But I saw a lot of problems I don't think can be addressed by pneumatic Teeter. It seemed to me the small dogs were at the disadvantage on the Teeter, not the large dogs. And then there's always the issue of getting the equipment if you want to practice on it. I had a teacher at one time, but it's long gone. And it seems overtime that I bought equipment that disappeared in a year or two, and the expense can add up.
Sheila & the Shelties

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 04:44:50 AM »
The small dogs werenít the reason why the teeter went away.  It wasnít a safety issue for them.

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
Lorrie I was sad to see the teeter go away as well, but since itís been gone from NADAC for some time thereís a whole bunch of dogs that are older and have never been on a teeter.  For my 8 year old dog she has only been on it sporadically in class which has actually caused her to be afraid of the teeter so we donít do it anymore.  FWIW a club we belong to bought one of the new teeters so I tried her on it a half dozen times and it was awesome!  Typically she would go on it once and get slammed to the ground and then not go on it again.  That did not happen with the new teeter.
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery