Author Topic: Teeter  (Read 770 times)

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
Teeter
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:34:54 AM »
I have been hearing rumors from various sources that the teeter is coming back.

Since NADAC is being so awesome with transparency, I figured I would just ask here.

Please tell me they are only rumors and NOT TRUE!

Since I only do NADAC, I do not own or train teeters.
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
Re: Teeter
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
I also hope it is NOT coming back!!!! 

Sara
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »
We are running some tests of the new style pneumatic teeters.

This doesnít mean its coming back.   It also doesnít mean it isnít, itís just a test to see if the new design eliminated the issues that originally caused Nadac to get rid of the teeter,  which was mainly because of inconsistency in the drop rate causing a unsafe condition for larger dogs.

So yes we are toying with the idea,  but a LOT of things would need to go right for it to happen.

If,  and itís a big if, the teeter did return, it would most likely be in a optional level above elite, so people would not have to train a teeter to get a natch.   Think Premier,  purely optional.

Again, and I canít reiterate this enough, that is only if the issues that originally caused the teeter to leave can be resolved.    And even if they are, it would be optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
I certainly hope not see a teeter again, no matter what type of teeter. None of the current dogs running have ever seen one. None of my dogs back when had a problem, I considered it more of a training problem and how the dogs were taught to do the teeter. 

Here's another question...I haven't seen either Hoopers or Barrelers classes offered at NADAC's own Fund Raisers I have entered lately? Are these classes going away? People are trying to finish titles in those classes. Plus not all clubs offer those classes.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
I certainly hope not see a teeter again, no matter what type of teeter. None of the current dogs running have ever seen one. None of my dogs back when had a problem, I considered it more of a training problem and how the dogs were taught to do the teeter. 

Here's another question...I haven't seen either Hoopers or Barrelers classes offered at NADAC's own Fund Raisers I have entered lately? Are these classes going away? People are trying to finish titles in those classes. Plus not all clubs offer those classes.
Then you just wouldnít need to enter that level :)

And again,  itís only a test of the new design

agilityjunkie

• Trial Secretary
    • Agility Junkies
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
I would be open to it. Curious about those teeters myself and I already have and train students with two kinds, wood and metal. But I would buy another if it was well made and gentler on sensitive dogs. I am very open to change if it helps with entries.
Lora Del Page

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the prompt response :)

So if I am understanding you correctly, you envision another level or class beyond Elite that MAY have the teeter.

So what do you envision for championships?   You would have 3 levels at champs.. Pre-Elite, Elite an the new class? 

Thanks
lisa
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »

[/quote]

I certainly hope not. Barrelers is my favorite class !!!    Plus it is nice to offer 8 runs a day.
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »
Not keen on seeing a teeter again.  I would have to ship from the USA a pneumatic one because it is certainly not available in Australia.  To me that would be a headache and a huge expense.  I know it would be considered optional in a new class but I always try to ensure Australians have access to everything offered through NADAC and this one I may not be able to do so.
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
Everyone, please be sure to read Chris's post again.

We are evaluating teeters right now, IF they come back it would be optional, and it would be YEARS from now, and that is ONLY if it passed the issues that were present that caused the teeter to leave in the first place.

And far too early to even think about levels at championships.

Amanda

Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 10:55:33 PM »
I guess I'm one of the few, but I love the teeter, and so do my dogs.  I've missed it ever since we got rid of it.  When I bought the agility equipment from the woman at whose yard I used to train at, I bought her teeter soley because my dogs love to go on it.  So you have one here that would love to see it come back, in whatever form you are looking into.  A premier class would be fun!!
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 11, VersNATCH 10, AA NATCH 2 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 5, VersNATCH 4, AA NATCH 2 BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

garypaula

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
I do AKC, as well as NADAC, so we have to be able to do the teeter.  However, I do NOT like the teeter for many reasons.  I don't know what the pneumatic teeters are like, but here is my suggestion:  Make it so the teeter goes down at the same rate for all sizes of dogs.  In order to compete at the higher levels, time becomes a significant factor.  The difference between a Golden Retriever and a Papillon is huge in the time it takes the teeter to reach the ground even if the smaller dog runs clear to the end.  To me, the larger dog has an automatic advantage on the teeter, so not one of my favorite things.  As a matter of fact, there is a video of a Papillon and a Border Collie running at the AKC National Agility Championships a few years ago and the only reason the larger dog had the faster time (tenths of a second) is because of the teeter.  On the rest of the course, the Papillon was actually faster than the Border Collie.

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »
Lorrie I was sad to see the teeter go away as well, but since itís been gone from NADAC for some time thereís a whole bunch of dogs that are older and have never been on a teeter.  For my 8 year old dog she has only been on it sporadically in class which has actually caused her to be afraid of the teeter so we donít do it anymore.  FWIW a club we belong to bought one of the new teeters so I tried her on it a half dozen times and it was awesome!  Typically she would go on it once and get slammed to the ground and then not go on it again.  That did not happen with the new teeter.

Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
I do AKC, as well as NADAC, so we have to be able to do the teeter.  However, I do NOT like the teeter for many reasons.  I don't know what the pneumatic teeters are like, but here is my suggestion:  Make it so the teeter goes down at the same rate for all sizes of dogs.  In order to compete at the higher levels, time becomes a significant factor.  The difference between a Golden Retriever and a Papillon is huge in the time it takes the teeter to reach the ground even if the smaller dog runs clear to the end.  To me, the larger dog has an automatic advantage on the teeter, so not one of my favorite things.  As a matter of fact, there is a video of a Papillon and a Border Collie running at the AKC National Agility Championships a few years ago and the only reason the larger dog had the faster time (tenths of a second) is because of the teeter.  On the rest of the course, the Papillon was actually faster than the Border Collie.
Why would a border collie be competing against a papillon?

Foomin Z

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 05:56:08 PM »
Why would a border collie be competing against a papillon?

As one example, the Westminster Kennel Club only crowns one winner as their agility champion for the year among all the heights. They do some kind of factor to account for the small dogs yardage, but it still seems to favor large dogs.