Author Topic: August 2018 and beyond Standard Course Times  (Read 4306 times)

BeckyAH

Re: August 2018 and beyond Standard Course Times
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:48 AM »
Hi Chris,

I knew that's how you figured SCT, but I was asking about when we're at a trial and get our YPS which height do we use for Bailey 19" jumping 12?  Will it be 12, 16, 20 to see if she got a DRI over 100?  Sorry for the confusion.

Actual height, I believe.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
So for DRI over 100. You based it on the top 10% of Qs over that period of time,  NOT the top 10% of dogs who ran that fast.   

For some classes (i.e. 20" BR ). That includes far less different dogs as some fast dogs ( hi brothers Rev &JP7, and friend Coleby) really took most of those 100+ DRIs. 

Seems like a more accurate representation of the 100+ DRI groups would be to do a top percentage of dogs rather than runs???? 

Leanne

I noticed that too. I wonder how much that changed things since it's the same like 3-5 dogs in the top 5% as the top 10% of runs. They might want to be conscience of the verbiage on that since I thought it use to be stated that is was the top x% of Dogs running was calculated for a 100 DRI not top % of Runs.

I canít speak for what was used in the past,  but I do believe it was top % of runs.

We can look into it,   But again,  using these calculations itís making the numbers way more lenient then they currently are,  Iím a little mystified why folks are having an issue with that.

Changing it to be done by the best YPS of each dog and then the top 10% of all those runs wouldnít be difficult to calculate,  but at what point do we keep changing the calculations to just keep lowering the criteria that has been the standard for years?   Weíre already making things easier for everyone,  but there is a limit to the generosity here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I certainly wasn't looking to make the criteria easier to get a 100+ DRI.  But as a teacher who is always looking at data and evaluating it for trends and growth and patterns it just stuck out to me as being very different in that Barrelers class.  Perhaps because Barrelers isn't offered as often as the other classes there was less data of different dogs running to draw from to get a top 10% ???

As a teacher I wouldn't say the top ten percent of kids who knew their ABCs was 5 kids out of 500 kids kids when those 5 kids knew them every month we tested them that year, especially if they got tested every month and the others were only tested at the end of each semester.  if I wanted a top percentage of kids I'd have to treat each kid as one entity instead of each score as an entity.  I'd take the highest score from each kid and then choose a top percentage fom there to determine  my list of kids to get an "A". I'm not sure if that analogy makes sense to non teacher types.

Certainly if you did that. You'd change the percentage down from top 10% of runs to a lower percentage rate to perhaps top 5% of dogs to get  a real picture of the truly exceptional ones.

Or as another way to look at it....  at champs you take the top 25%(?) of dogs to run in the finals.  You wouldn't list the scores of each run from every dog from highest to lowest , draw a line at the top 25% and then take whatever dogs got those scores into the finals.

But all that becomes moot if DRI was meant to show top percentage of runs vs. top percentage of dogs.   That's totally a NADAC decision.  And I respect any decision made to that effect.

Really not trying to make it easier to get a 100+ DRI.
  I'd trade our few 100+ DRIs for a bit (or really a LOT) more consistency - my youngster is still learning to keep his adrenaline intact.

I totally agree with you!   I just donít think the numbers would work out too well.

Maybe Iím looking at it wrong,  so Iíll explain my thinking.

If we took top dogs instead of top runs we would have to make a choice of either using their best runs,  their worst,  or their average.

And I see some flaws with all of those options. 

Using their worst run definitely isnít an option, since that defeats the purpose of the DRI.

Using their best could work,  but just doing it quickly in my head itís going to make the numbers go way up,  20 inch jumpers for instance would actually go up if we took the top 5% like the original handbook stated.  Instead of 6.5 it would be 6.6.

The reason Iím not a fan of that is that 20 inch jumpers has been a little too hard to get a 100+ dri in for awhile.   Iíve watched plenty of fast dogs that are what I would consider fast not getting 100+ on those runs.   

So that class really needed to be more lenient rather than stricter,  which happened by taking too 10% of runs rather than top 5% of dogs.

Maybe there is a middle ground option that would work better than either option?

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
Hi Chris,

I knew that's how you figured SCT, but I was asking about when we're at a trial and get our YPS which height do we use for Bailey 19" jumping 12?  Will it be 12, 16, 20 to see if she got a DRI over 100?  Sorry for the confusion.
Proficient height. So in your case, 20Ē

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »
  But again,  using these calculations itís making the numbers way more lenient then they currently are,  Iím a little mystified why folks are having an issue with that.

I can't imagine anyone having issues!  With the 10% (whether it be dogs or runs) there will be a large group of dogs earning 100+ run indexes that have never seen that option before!  The Platinum Speed runs and Purple bonus runs will increase dramatically!  Everyone should be VERY happy that it will be much easier to earn those 100+ runs!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 11:29:19 PM »
Amen.
Sheila & the Shelties

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 06:34:29 AM »
Are new YPS for other than Elite dogs published anyplace yet?

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 07:00:46 AM »
It's just a straight 10% increase for each level down, so I didn't really see the point in posting them :)

Open = 10% more than Elite
Novice = 10% more than Open
Intro = 10% more than Novice

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »
Will the page in the rule book be updated?

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
It will be updated this week with the Elite times, yes.

And then same as it was before for the lower levels

LisaT

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Just wondering if increase in Standard Course Times that were to be effective in August are now reflected in the software used in all trials.  I don't know whether the standard course times are entered manually or downloaded from NADAC but just want to know if all times have been updated.  Thanks!

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »
 They are in effect and au and fast both have them ready for trial secretaries to update their software.   It is the responsibility of the trial secretaries to update.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

LisaT

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks Jeannie!