Author Topic: PSA - When the timer malfunctions.....  (Read 2120 times)

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
Re: PSA - When the timer malfunctions.....
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
If someone were given the chance to rerun for a time because they are shooting for DRIs over 100 would they then be faulted if they dropped a bar? If not it seems that this would be a freebie to push for more speed.

In other organizations, re-runs for time do not accumulate any faults. It is only to record a time. If someone is pushing for speed it is just as likely that they will pull their dog off a jump or send them off course (both taking up more time) as it is they will knock a bar. If someone wants to push "harder" on a re-run and take that risk then that should be up to them, they already proved that they could run the course clean. How does someone else's DRI affect your run?

P run = Platinum   In your records they are designated with P1, P2, P3, etc. Runs with a DRI of 100+.

Chris, I think it's something that probably doesn't matter to a lot of people, but for some it matters a lot. I have zero control over there being a timer issue. All I'm asking is that someone lets me know and gives me the chance to re-run for time instead of walking up to the book and seeing that my dog posted a 3 yps run time.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
I definitely agree it's no handlers fault for a timer malfunction.   And it doesn't feel quite right to deny someone the chance at one of those runs because of something out of their control.   

We can definitely discuss it in the coming months and it could be one of those things that gets put to a vote in December for those January announcements :)

bhodges865

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
If someone were given the chance to rerun for a time because they are shooting for DRIs over 100 would they then be faulted if they dropped a bar? If not it seems that this would be a freebie to push for more speed.

Or....if they were allowed a re-run, who's to say they will run the exact same path.  So many trials are double-run formats and usually if you Q on both runs, your 2nd run is faster.
Team TX Heeler
Knoxville, TN

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
Many years ago it was allowed to run for time only, unless the dog had faulted, then there really was no point.  The biggest problem was that handlers would drive insanely hard, missing contacts, blowing out of weave poles and knocking jumps.  Not only was it ugly, it was not safe.
I agree that it is not the handlers fault if the clock malfunctions, but instead of running for time only, perhaps they could be granted a rerun even if the first time around they had no faults.
Yes, they will likely push harder and may get a faster time but like someone above said, in a double run formatted trial that often is the case.
The handler would have the option of taking a Q and SCT or rerunning and risking faults.

Just my 2 cents knowing the history

Becky
Becky Woodruff