Author Topic: Updates for 2019 Champs, Regionals and the trainers program  (Read 33849 times)

Sarah Fix

• Judge
Re: Updates for 2019 Champs, Regionals and the trainers program
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
Saturday, December 1, is the date that clubs are supposed to put their names in for Regionals - according to the original post.  What info do we need to submit to be considered and where do we submit it?  Our club has 2 possible dates - end of January and mid April.  Can we submit both?  Is there a date window that you would like regionals to fall within?  How much extra work is it?  What extras would have to happen at the trial for it to be a regional?  I haven't been able to attend one yet so don't know if there needs to be a change in what is offered or if the format is different.
Sarah Fix
Breeze,Razz,Boogie & Jinks

agilityaddict2

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 10:55:42 AM »
Iíve only been to Champs once, with a 2 year old dog, in 2017.  We competed in Elite Champs.  Maybe Iím jaded because I had a competitive dog but I wanted to compete with the best dogs on hard courses.  Iíd always heard about distance requirements on courses at Champs and was disappointed not to see those.  A Championship to me is an event that tests dog and handlers, not one which is open to dogs that canít even Q in all the Elite classes.  The idea of holding my dog back because he was young was suggested to me and rejected.  Seems to me that the issue is whether this is a Championship or a National gathering.  Just my 2 cents.

Ken Briefel and Max

agilityaddict2

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
I could not agree more. It is Champs not a national gathering. Not everyone should qualify and to suggest that the requirements be adjusted so that "you" can participate is absurd. It is supposed to be difficult.. Just my opinion.

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
I could not agree more. It is Champs not a national gathering. Not everyone should qualify and to suggest that the requirements be adjusted so that "you" can participate is absurd. It is supposed to be difficult.. Just my opinion.

But the thing is, what is difficult to me might not be difficult for you (or vice versa). I know someone who said she qualified for Champs in 3 weekends. Does that sound difficult? I've done two weekends of NADAC and my dogs are almost qualified. So in my eyes the qualifications could be more difficult, but there are a whole lot of people who would be in an uproar if that happened.

For a lot of people, attending their organization's national event IS a social gathering. If you consider the 1200 or so people that attend AKC Nationals, I guarantee you that at least 80% of the people attending know that they don't have a prayer of making finals or winning. They are there because they put in the work to qualify (and those qualifications are pretty hefty), to hang out with friends, to watch some good agility, do some shopping, and to hopefully have some clean runs and bring home a Q ribbon from NAC. Not everyone is super competitive (like me ;) ) and that's okay. These events would be pretty small if only the people/dogs who have a shot at winning came.

It's up to the organization to determine their goals. If the goal is to grow the event then you typically need to make qualifiers easier, or somehow increase the appeal of the event itself. Personally, I appreciate that the other orgs require everyone who attends to meet the same qualifications and runs the same courses. I would love it if NADAC had 1 set of qualifications, everyone just ran in the same (Elite) division, kept the 2-ring format, and ran Round 1 in one ring and Round 2 in the other ring at the same time, then had the groups swap. I don't need a different course for my DD dog. If he was not capable of running the regular courses I wouldn't bring him to Champs.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, NATCH/ADCH Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
Hi,

I have a question about Regionals as the date to put your name in the Hat is coming up fast...  Since it appears that the location will be determined by a Random Draw, will the drawing be by geographic location?  East, West and Central?  That would seem to be a fair way to spread out the event rather than lumping all clubs into one hat with the chance of one region 'winning' out over the others.

"Regional draw entries will open on December first, and the random draw will be a live feed done on December 22nd"

And when we do Put our Name in The HAT, are we supposed to also include the date we would like to be considered for the event?  A lot of clubs offer multiple trials so that is why I ask.

Thanks!

Yup it will be split up between north and south as well.

So south west, north west, etc etc.

Draw entries open on December 1st, so that is the date you can put your name in.

It will be by specific trial as well, since the trial weekend has to meet certain criteria, it can't be by club since some clubs switch around their locations for different dates.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
At this point, is the plan to move the Champs dates to the beginning of October for the future? 
Linda

Definitely not!

September is what we normally aim for and would like to keep.

Unfortunately for 2019 there just weren't any September dates open.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
Saturday, December 1, is the date that clubs are supposed to put their names in for Regionals - according to the original post.  What info do we need to submit to be considered and where do we submit it?  Our club has 2 possible dates - end of January and mid April.  Can we submit both?  Is there a date window that you would like regionals to fall within?  How much extra work is it?  What extras would have to happen at the trial for it to be a regional?  I haven't been able to attend one yet so don't know if there needs to be a change in what is offered or if the format is different.

Criteria is mainly in regards to weather.

If a club wanted to host a regional on their trial that occurs on February, but it's an outdoor trial and 3 out of 5 years there has been snow, then that would disqualify it.     Or if the trial always gets rained out, not a good choice for a regional event.

The only other qualification is that the trial historically must have received at least 500 runs for the weekend.   It is a competition after all and trials that are smaller then that don't make it very competitive.

The trial can't be any later then August 15th, since that is the cutoff for Second chance entry into Champs.

The club doesn't have to do any extra work.   We attend each regional and take care of all the extra scoring that occurs, we judge any distance tests on the courses, and we supply the awards.     Only thing the club has to do is promote it :)

No changes from a normal weekend, you need 2 rounds of regular on Saturday and Sunday.   

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »
You know there are all different kinds of personalities of people involved in agility.  I DO think of Champs as a National social gathering.  I just don't take agility all that serious.  It's just something I enjoy doing with my dogs and love having a good time with other dog crazy people.  I have never expected to win anything at any of the Champs I have attended.  I think of it as a vacation, after all with 4 dogs we can't afford to go on a vacation without dogs. 

Honestly one of the reasons we quit going to Champs after 2004 was because of discussions about how it was only for the best of the best.  I have managed to get several NATCHs on my dog, but we are by no means consistent.  She is a difficult dog to run and we can go from awesome to crash and burn from one round to the next.  We can usually still manage to meet the qualification requirements.  I guess maybe I'll have to reconsider whether or not Champs is the place for us.

Smpickett

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »
100 overall sounds good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2018, 04:00:33 AM »

If a club wanted to host a regional on their trial that occurs on February, but it's an outdoor trial and 3 out of 5 years there has been snow, then that would disqualify it.     Or if the trial always gets rained out, not a good choice for a regional event.

The only other qualification is that the trial historically must have received at least 500 runs for the weekend.   It is a competition after all and trials that are smaller then that don't make it very competitive.

The trial can't be any later then August 15th, since that is the cutoff for Second chance entry into Champs.

The club doesn't have to do any extra work.   We attend each regional and take care of all the extra scoring that occurs, we judge any distance tests on the courses, and we supply the awards.     Only thing the club has to do is promote it :)

No changes from a normal weekend, you need 2 rounds of regular on Saturday and Sunday.

For future years is there any way that the draw can be held earlier in the year?  Our club has 3 trials a year but one is in September and one in December.  Our third is in May outdoors and weather would exclude that one.

Thanks

Sarah Fix

• Judge
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
So can a club submit more than one weekend for the random draw? 
Sarah Fix

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »

For future years is there any way that the draw can be held earlier in the year?  Our club has 3 trials a year but one is in September and one in December.  Our third is in May outdoors and weather would exclude that one.

Thanks
That's the plan!

We're just playing catch up with the new program :)

Ideally I would actually like to draw the 2020 regionals April of 2019.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
So can a club submit more than one weekend for the random draw? 

They can for the purposes of us knowing what dates are available, but for the actual draw only a single club name will be put in.

That way it's a level playing field between a club that hosts 2 trials a year, and a club that hosts 6.

Sarah Fix

• Judge
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2018, 11:48:40 AM »
Perfect - that's a very fair solution!
Sarah Fix

Sarah Fix

• Judge
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
In the original post, you mentioned that you would do a live feed on the 22nd to announce the location of Regionals.  Are you still planning to do that - or announce in the very near future?
Sarah Fix