Author Topic: Barrelers Class  (Read 1048 times)

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
Barrelers Class
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »
What equipment do we need to run Barrelers at our trial? Looked for it on line but just didn't find. Thanks for any help in advance. John
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Yvette Cook

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Barrelers Class
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »
Hey there
You'll need,  give or take, 3-4 barrels, 2-4 15' timeless and several hoops depending on the course.
Hope this helps.
Yvette
Yvette
Phoenix, AZ

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »
Thank You
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

David Tharle

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:06:49 AM »
You should also get/make some hanging numbers to attach to the barrels at the appropriate locations.  Have seen several methods used: clips, magnets, hooks. Our Club made them using the name tags that hang from alligator clips. #s 1-20. Keeping them together in a small plastic tub makes life easier for the course builder.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:21:03 PM by David Tharle »
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
what a good idea for numbers and barrels!
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
You should also get/make some hanging numbers to attach to the barrels at the appropriate locations.  Have seen several methods used: clips, magnets, hooks. Our Club made them using the name tags that hang from alligator clips. #s 1-20. Keeping them together in a small plastic tub makes life easier for the course builder.

How many numbers would we need?
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »
Hi, John!!!  Hope to see you soon!!!

David's post actually says #1-20.  That would be plenty as it seems most Elite BRs are around 15.  They're shorter courses like most of the special skills classes.

If you haven't done Barrelers before, it also has hoops and tunnels in it so you would use a mixture of the tags and usual cones to mark it.  I've not seen the tags, as we use our cones and set them on top of the barrels, but the tags would be great!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:05:06 AM by Richard Wolfe »
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

David Tharle

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »
Happy New Year everyone,

The Barrelers courses have been lengthening, with Elite stretching to 18-20.  I think the 2 present (Dec) VT courses use Barrels as the 17th or 18th obstacle.   Reasonably sure the one I built at a trial in early December you pushed out to pass by the barrel at #19, before finishing with a Hoop.

Clubs in this area embraced EGC, so we've dealt with barrels for years. I would really strongly recommend not setting anything on top of them,  whether the barrel is solid or flexible.  I've seen things come tumbling off during practice or trial and either spook the dog or become something the dog needs to negotiate around on a return pass by/around that barrel.  Many dogs as they become more comfortable with them, will lean into them, bending the flexible ones or rocking the solids. Others in Intro or Novice will sometimes try to put two paws up on them to investigate and if you have anything on top, it usually comes off surprising the dog.  Finally, a barrel is often used multiple times in a course.  Depending on the size of your cones, etc, it can be hard to indicate the performance (360, 270, bi-directional, or pass by) expected at that point in the course, which can lead to extra questions during walk throughs or worse yet, someone taking it incorrectly during an otherwise flawless run during a trial.  Much easier with numbers placed on sides.

I mentioned in my original answer several methods of attaching them.  However you do it, your course builder or Judge will really love you a whole lot more if the method can be done quickly, preferably with one hand (carry the #s in one hand and attach with the other) as dropping down levels often only involves renumbering to remove an extra sequence.
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
Thanks for the update and clarification, David!!!!

Sounds great!!!!
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven