Author Topic: Jump bar length  (Read 1270 times)

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
Jump bar length
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »
Our club is converting our competition jumps from metal uprights that were connected at the bottom by a second bar to the individual PVC style jump stanchions.  Our previous cross bars are 5" long.  Has anyone had experience with 5' bars on the PVC uprights?  Should I cut the old bars down to 4"?  Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Linda Anderson
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
Re: Jump bar length
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
Our club is converting our competition jumps from metal uprights that were connected at the bottom by a second bar to the individual PVC style jump stanchions.  Our previous cross bars are 5" long.  Has anyone had experience with 5' bars on the PVC uprights?  Should I cut the old bars down to 4"?  Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Linda Anderson

No recommendation, but I like the 4 because my arms are too short to easily carry the 5. 😆😆
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 04:50:04 PM »
I like the 4' jump bars.
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

Carole & Pat Daggett

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:58:44 PM »
Judges are asked to set the bar length at 4 1/2 feet when designing courses. It doesn't help your decision but its just more information.

Pat Daggett

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »
Thanks, Pat.  Gues I should cut mine down then.  Good thing I have a radial saw.
Linda

David Tharle

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
Good thing I have a radial saw.

In case you're not familiar with the process Linda, I recommend you switch to a metal chop saw blade or a wood finishing blade (high tooth count) when cutting older PVC.  It can become very brittle.  General crosscut blades can cause shattering leaving a rough end and shards of PVC flying everywhere.
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
Also, is it okay to use plain white jump bars? 
Linda

SandeeStewie

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »
Good thing I have a radial saw.

In case you're not familiar with the process Linda, I recommend you switch to a metal chop saw blade or a wood finishing blade (high tooth count) when cutting older PVC.  It can become very brittle.  General crosscut blades can cause shattering leaving a rough end and shards of PVC flying everywhere.

Hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes etc sell PVC pipe cutters quite cheaply & they do a far better and quicker job than any saw blade - much cleaner & more accurate cut and safer to use.
Personally I prefer courses with 5 bars. 

Matt.
Sandee/Stewie.

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:20:20 PM »
The most common across the country is 4ft.... 5ft is becoming semi-rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 02:32:08 AM »
Ok true story here when I first started NADAC back in early 2000 I was getting jumps made so checked equipment specs which said between 4 to 5 feet wide.  The guy making jumps asked what do you want 4 or 5 feet.  I said heck split the difference make them 4.5 feet.   They have worked well for many years - actually they work perfectly for course building.    Probably next jumps I get will be 4 feet though.
Shirlene Clark
Australia

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 05:09:45 AM »
The most common across the country is 4ft.... 5ft is becoming semi-rare.

I can't speak for all organizations, but in AKC and USDAA we see almost entirely 5' bars. The panel jump is the only thing that is routinely 4' wide. When I go to NADAC trials the jumps all seem freakishly tiny to me and the courses feel very tight because of the 4' bars. I upgraded to all 5' bars when I moved to Tennessee.

Considering that in NADAC you pretty much take all jumps from straight-on approaches I don't think it matters that much. The 5' bars are more of a "necessity" when we have dogs doing backsides and slices in the course designs that are more common in other organizations. But a 4' wingless bar jump definitely presents a much different picture (to dog and handler) than a 5' bar jump with 18" wings on either side and affects the layout of the entire course.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 05:54:57 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your comments/suggestions.  I personally like the 5' bars but this isn't about "my" preference.  I think I will keep the 5' bars for this year's trials and ask the exhibitors which they like.  Like Shirlene, I'm leaning toward 4.5'.
Linda

AndreaEntin

• Judge
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
i like my four foot bars.
Andrea

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
i like my four foot bars.
Andrea

IF I was starting over, I ould probably get 4' bars.  But as it is, I really don't want to have to cut mine down.
Linda

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:48 AM »
I like 4 foot.  Also I like either plain white or dark blue solid bars depending on the color the ground and back ground is.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com