Author Topic: Leash Pole  (Read 4181 times)

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
Re: Leash Pole
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
We have been using it for well over a year now with not one safety issue, concern or incident whatsoever - it is tall enough and  light weight with  no sharp edges, if knocked it easily moves. 
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »
Oh and when I say using it over year we are talking around 20 trials per year
Shirlene Clark
Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 11:13:50 PM »
Oh and I forgot one other positive we found was that it meant the leash runner is always at the start area to take instruction from the team entering eg I have my own leash buddy, please hand me my leash, pole is fine etc.   Teams previously slow to come in because they want to give their preference are quicker now

I am surprised that this considered new.  I remember when i started agility, there was a leash pole as you have done at the end of the course.  It went away after the leash had to handed to the person. I preferred that and it made it easier to be at the start line for the next leash. But I understood the complaint was that people were not getting off the course fast enough with the leash pole. We've had a lot less volunteers for leash running after this was put in effect.  I think it should be the default and the runner can ask for something different if they want.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:09:45 PM by Sheila & the Shelties »
Sheila & the Shelties

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 05:03:42 AM »
There was a contraption like this at the facility where we frequently trialed in Wisconsin many years ago. Really, they were fairly common before the rule of handing over leashes became default. Some AKC clubs still use them. Personally, I dislike them quite a bit because my dogs are always pulling them over. Then I have to untangle my leash/harness from the pole, stand the pole back up, and leash up my dog. I far prefer a chair or a bucket.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 09:52:38 AM »
As I recall the whole reason we got away from hanging the leash on the pole/chair etc. was that it took extra time for the handler to get to the location, then the handler had to "locate" the leash, open the leash, and then put it over the dog.  It required the handler to disengage from the dog in order to perform these tasks, in and in the meantime there is another dog at the start line ready to go, and a disengaged dog waiting to be leashed up. 

It was determined that is was safer and more efficient to have the handler handed the leash opened up so that they could just slip it over the dog and be done.

Those who feel they don't want the leash runner to come near them have the option of the leash on the ground (or pole or chair if we so choose). 

If the leash runner was not getting to the finish area in time to do that function, I think it would not be the right job for them.
Jeff L.

Lois Mierau

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
We have had a leash hanger for 17 years, we stopped using it when we were told the default behaviour was to hand the leash to the handler unless asked to do otherwise.  May we start using the hanger again or is the default still for the runner to hand the leash to the handler?

Thanks!
Lois Mierau
Sondog Agility
Saskatoon, Sk.
Canada

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
I think the only thing to remind handlers of when using a leash tree, or whatever anyone wants to call them.

Is that they still need to get to the leash in a timely manner.  Otherwise it is much faster to have the leash runner hand the leash to them.

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »

If the leash runner was not getting to the finish area in time to do that function, I think it would not be the right job for them.

The problem I have observed is not that they don't get to the finish line on time, but that they don't get back in time to the start line to pick up the leash. And if they don't on a quick running course, they get farther and farther behind. Admittedly then maybe you shouldn't do the job, but that narrows the pool of volunteers.
Sheila & the Shelties

KellyDittmar

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 05:37:03 AM »
For the dogs safety I hope this does not become commonplace.
I know quite a few dogs for which something like that would present a danger. Fortunately not my dogs.

Matt.
Sandee/Stewie.

Can you say more about this? What makes this a safety issue?

I have seen these things fall over or get somehow tangled with the leash causing laughter, embarrassment, and "next dog delays", but other than it falling on a dog have never seen anything unsafe about the pole. What has your experience been?

Thanks!
Kelly
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 07:38:44 AM »
We have had a leash hanger for 17 years, we stopped using it when we were told the default behaviour was to hand the leash to the handler unless asked to do otherwise.  May we start using the hanger again or is the default still for the runner to hand the leash to the handler?

Thanks!

I love the leash poles!  I would much rather use those than have strangers walking into a dog's space after a high drive run.
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Foomin Z

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »

Thanks!

I love the leash poles!  I would much rather use those than have strangers walking into a dog's space after a high drive run.
Same here. I get nearly run over sometimes trying to hand off the leash to a person. NADAC courses generally have straight lines right at the end. Dogs are extra fast and extra hyped. Also, handlers are usually far behind the dogs at that point, if they are not working the distance from closer to the front of the ring.

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:20 PM »
For the dogs safety I hope this does not become commonplace.
I know quite a few dogs for which something like that would present a danger. Fortunately not my dogs.

Matt.
Sandee/Stewie.

Can you say more about this? What makes this a safety issue?

I have seen these things fall over or get somehow tangled with the leash causing laughter, embarrassment, and "next dog delays", but other than it falling on a dog have never seen anything unsafe about the pole. What has your experience been?

Thanks!
Kelly

I'd like to know too.  I've never seen a problem with them.  I *have* sene problems with a leash hand-off: people turning their back on an excited dog and getting a nip on the butt or leg.
Sheila & the Shelties

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »
  Before the current policy of having the leash runner hand the open leash to the exhibitor, many clubs here in So. CA had leash holders of various designs. The Aus's is probably a much improved version.   Personally I think being handed my open leash does allow me to get out of the ring faster than in the "old days".   

Should we start using a leash holder, chair, bucket or the like I would like to request that these not be placed immediately beside the ring ropes and right at the exit.   I judged or years before the human leash holder rule came about.  I would continually move the chair, or what ever, that the leash was to be put on into the ring about 5-10 feet or so and often just off to the side of the exit. Two main reasons:
   1.  I personally feel this was a safer placement of the leash.  I saw a lot of dogs that ran or wondered out of the ring while the handler was walking towards their leash and then while fumbling with the leash trying to get it open and on the dog.  The holder being away from the ring rope (not all rings are enclosed) and exits reduced the dog from accidentally walking out of the ring.
  2.  The shorter the distance the handler has to walk to get to their leash the faster they get it on the dog.  Many of us slow down as our dogs drive across the finish line.  We then walk to our dog.  The closer the leash is to that finish line, the faster the handler gets there, leashed up and out of the ring.

Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 04:24:29 AM »
Absolutely!

I canít speak for Australia,  but here in Florida weíve been using a leash holder for all the trials lately and itís been placed about 6 feet off the finish obstacle,  off to the side the handler would be on.

That way itís close to the finishing handler.

I definitely wouldnít want to see it placed at the exit gate, as that would slow things down pretty badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMDATX

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 05:56:16 AM »
Hi Chris!  I'm a bit of a literalist and rule follower and am having trouble reconciling your messaging on the leash topic.  :-)  One one hand, you are saying leash holders are great and you like using them.  Then you say that having the leash runner hand the handler the leash is the default, unless the handler instructs the leash runner to leave it on the ground.

Is the 'official' position that leash runners should hand the handler the leash at the end of the run, unless the handler instructs the leash runner to drop it off at the end.  The club could provide some sort of 'holder' that the leash is to be placed or on the ground, if not.

Thanks!

Jan