Author Topic: Leash Pole  (Read 3569 times)

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
Leash Pole
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
I made a leash pole for our NADAC trials in Australia well over a year ago now and it is well loved at our trials.

We assume the default to be leash on the pole unless the handler states otherwise.  It has been working brilliantly. It takes away a person at the end of the run which seems to make finishing teams happy.  It increases efficiency as the finishing handler can easily identify the collar portion of their leash.  We trial mainly our doors and it has coped well in wind.  It is easy to re-locate when course changes just gets moved with the finishing timing gates.  The stem is not glued to the base so it pulls apart into 2 pieces for easy storage and transport.

I was concerned about dogs grabbing the leash from the pole and thought a bucket would help.  In all honesty I never had to go there - dogs did got to the pole after their runs (they are smart and learn)  but 99.9% of them just sat at the pole and waited for their mum or dad to catch up.   Before anyone says can be construed as a target aiding the finishing dog...nope it can't because we always have it off to the side of the last obstacle.  If a dog were to target it then they would miss the last obstacles.

Anyway I thought I would share what we affectionately call the candlelabra her in Australia
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
Re: Leash Pole
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
Like it!!
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »
This is a great idea!  What size PVC did you use?
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
1 inch pvc
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Dieselblonde

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
Great idea!!!!

David Tharle

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
Given the reaction here, I just have to ask: Are leash poles "not" commonly used in other regions of NADAC?
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
No idea David.  We did have leash default the leash runner but decided we preferred a pole and not a person so tried this out.  It was well received and we have had zero incidents at the end of a run since introducing it.  People can still opt for a leash buddy or have the designated leash walker hold the leash.  The only negative I have noted is that if we need to get a leash out to a team on course - say in fouling the ring it takes time for the leash walker to go get the leash off the pole.  Rare problem that doesnít negate the advantages for us. 
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
 I do believe handing the leash to the handler is the default for 99% of the trials here in the US. We found things go much faster when the leash is brought to the handler with the collar or slip lead open to simply put over the dog's head.  A few handlers request to have it put on the ground at the end. 
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »
Marj I think your reply raises a valid thing too -  if it ainít broke donít fix it.  Our leash pole came about because I had fielded concerns over leash walkers that are too slow or get too close or Handlers anxious about their dog interacting with the leash runner etc...   So I addressed the concerns.  I had something to fix but not everyone does
Shirlene Clark
Australia

David Tharle

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »
I think all the Alberta Clubs have them, but maybe that's just a hold over from the days of yore. (We just never took them out of the trailer when it was decided the runner should hand you an open leash).  I do think it speeds things up for those handlers which choose to have the leash left at the finish.  They know exactly where the leash is and it can be hung open as opposed to being a boy scout challenge hiding on the arena floor.
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
Oh and I forgot one other positive we found was that it meant the leash runner is always at the start area to take instruction from the team entering eg I have my own leash buddy, please hand me my leash, pole is fine etc.   Teams previously slow to come in because they want to give their preference are quicker now
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »
This might also be a nice solution for some other perceived issues that could arise from the June tugging update :)

We might build a few and send them to clubs as a early Christmas gift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeckyAH

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »
I would LOVE this.  Most of my dogs don't  care at all, but it would make getting out with that One Dog Of Mine so much faster.  (As it stands I sit her, retrieve the leash, leash her and go, if the leash runner is still hanging around the exit for some reason)

lyndav

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
I would just make the top part of the pole straight instead of U - Shaped or a much smaller U. The leash would slide off much easier & faster, especially for those individuals who have issues with hand co-ordination.

SandeeStewie

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »
For the dogs safety I hope this does not become commonplace.
I know quite a few dogs for which something like that would present a danger. Fortunately not my dogs.

Matt.
Sandee/Stewie.