Author Topic: Hoopers  (Read 1187 times)

Robin Adamson

Hoopers
« on: April 03, 2019, 02:04:07 AM »
Hi. I havenít competed in NADAC or in any other Agility venue for a while but Iím hoping to return by late Summer with my new pup. Lately Iíve been trying to catch up with some of the changes that have occured since I last set foot in a NADAC ring. One thing I still wasnít totally sure about was Hoopers.  I LOVED Hoopers right from the very beginning and my dogs and I loved running 3-2-1 Hoopers even more.  So is  Strategic Hoopers still being played or has it been discontinued? And if it has been discontinued, why?  I had heard rumors that it might go away and it seemed like there were fewer and fewer 3-2-1 Hoopers courses available around the time I retired my dogs. Thanks!   
-
Robin & Lizzie B
Omaha, NE
Always in my Heart - Molly, Jazz & Shasta Blue

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Hoopers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 06:38:21 AM »
When there were only 3 or so clubs offering Strategic Hoopers, it was discontinued.  And yes, there are those of us who really enjoyed it.  If you looked at or ever ran X-Hoopers, we now run a modified version of it.  The modification is that the gates or x-pens defining the circle of hoops and the wings have been removed.  And an optional distance line going across the ring from the base of the circle allows a handler who stays behind the line and directs the dog on a perfect path (no super wide turns or bobbles) to earn a 15 point Q at a trial.

Or you can run Hoopers just like Jumpers.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »
Building off what Jancie said.  If look at the sample Elite Hoopers course in the rule book you notice that the hoops number 4,5,7 and 16 create a circle.  Once referred to as the Circle of Doom back when the space between the hoops was enclosed with the lattice gates or xpens. The handbook calls it the "X" pattern. This is the core of the game and all courses are built with this formation in it.  It will always be part of the distance/bonus challenge.

My prefernce was having the gates/xpens, but that required extra time to build and equipment to haul/store. 

Several clubs in my area do something I really like, they identify these 4 hoops by having them all the same color, and no other hoop on the course is that color.  The young folks may not have the problem with getting disorientated as do some of us seniors.  Having these hoops identified helps keep...me... orientated.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Robin Adamson

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »
Thanks for the info. We did X-Hoopers a few times and really enjoyed the Circle of Doom challenge.  We will be looking forward to playing Hoopers no matter what form it takes but I'll still miss the strategic hoopers.   
-
Robin & Lizzie B
Omaha, NE
Always in my Heart - Molly, Jazz & Shasta Blue

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:36:38 AM »
Looking forward to having you back, Robin!
I miss the gated Hoopers.  But, glad there is a Bonus Line to have fun with some distance challenge in the current set up!
Lorrie Stelz
Kaiden: NATCH 15 V-NATCH 13 AA NATCH 4 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT BN RN MX MXJ MXF TKI IT
Tripp: NATCH 7 V-NATCH 6 AA NATCH 4 BB's Embrace The Journey BN TKI IT
Sketch: BB's Nothin' But A Good Time TKI IT
ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 V-NATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF

Angie H

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 05:14:59 AM »
Hi Robin!  Looking forward to having you back! {{waving}}

If you need a "strategy fix", check out the description of the Gamblers class, which is scheduled to return in a few months!  You may recall running it before (it was somewhat before my time in NADAC).

Angie Hall
Angie H