Author Topic: Jumps as Obstacles  (Read 7049 times)

Jumps as Obstacles
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:59 AM »
Off and on, there has been a rumor that jumps will disappear as obstacles.  This idea got more steam recently when we had a recent Regular course with no jumps; only hoops.  Is this true?  Do you think at some time jumps will completely disappear?  (I was designated as pole setter for the course, and therefore did not get my raffle ticket)   ::)

I would hate to see them completely disappear.
Sheila & the Shelties

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Jumps as Obstacles
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
Complete and total fabrication of someones imagination :)

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »
Off and on, there has been a rumor that jumps will disappear as obstacles.  This idea got more steam recently when we had a recent Regular course with no jumps; only hoops.  Is this true?  Do you think at some time jumps will completely disappear?  (I was designated as pole setter for the course, and therefore did not get my raffle ticket)   ::)

We would have given you a raffle ticket at Star City.  If you work, you get a ticket.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »
Well this is quite interesting.

Back in April a friend of mine sent a note to Sharon to inquire about the very high number of hoops she encountered in the Regular class at a NADAC trial in her area.  In that particular set of courses, Regular had eight hoops and four jumps on course.  My friend was questioning this balance as she (and I) feel that Regular should have more jumps than hoops to still "test" the jumping effort of the dog.

Sharon's response was

"Yes, it should be..... sometimes if I am in a hurry, I must let some courses get approved with too many hoops..... there should be more jumps than hoops."

So I find it very curious to hear that there was a set of courses with ZERO jumps on a Regular course.

I will admit to musing that one day NADAC will no longer use jumps.  Because I can totally see it happening.  Never say never and all that jazz.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, NATCH/ADCH Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »
Well, here was what happened--we have volunteers sign up ahead of time.  I volunteered to be a pole setter.  Lo and behold, when the Regular course was built, there were only hoops and no jumps.  Therefore, there were no poles to set.  So if there were no poles to to set, I had nothing to do.  Would I still get a ticket?  LOL
Sheila & the Shelties

Scott Whittington

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
Even if there are no jumps on the course, there will still be hoops that get displaced and tunnels that need fluffing.

Still enough to earn a raffle ticket IMHO!

Scott Whittington
Little Elm, TX

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:05:33 AM »
Well this is quite interesting.

Back in April a friend of mine sent a note to Sharon to inquire about the very high number of hoops she encountered in the Regular class at a NADAC trial in her area.  In that particular set of courses, Regular had eight hoops and four jumps on course.  My friend was questioning this balance as she (and I) feel that Regular should have more jumps than hoops to still "test" the jumping effort of the dog.

Sharon's response was

"Yes, it should be..... sometimes if I am in a hurry, I must let some courses get approved with too many hoops..... there should be more jumps than hoops."

So I find it very curious to hear that there was a set of courses with ZERO jumps on a Regular course.

I will admit to musing that one day NADAC will no longer use jumps.  Because I can totally see it happening.  Never say never and all that jazz.

A person can jump on the negative band wagon and go rolling on a ride.  Or one could have asked "why" and gotten the real answer..... we messed up!!!  I am offline and it was missed that one set of courses got through the process and it wasn't caught that there weren't any jumps on it....

It was run in five different locations.... some judges realized it had to be an error and replaced the hoops with jumps.  Others thought it was really cool and went with it.....

Some competitors loved it and laughed at their one chance to "run for it" with that error and other jump onto a rumor mill on the "new direction of NADAC"...... 

I love being offline and then returning after a week..... and some things never change.....

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Heidi Konesko

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:49:59 AM »
...and then there is me, who wouldn't have even noticed! I've learned to just go with it.  The changes always make things more interesting.  We have a good time whatever the course is!   :)
Heidi in NH with Hi Jack and newbie Maybelle
Sophie, Molly, and Penny waiting at the Bridge

Kyle

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
I honestly thought that the place to "test" the jumping effort of the dog was in Jumpers. With 5 point Q's being available in Regular, I would think a course with all hoops would be kind of fun actually! A little "surprise gift" of a sort.  ;D  And pretty darn fast, too! Wheeee!!
-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Ed and Tres

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »

It was run in five different locations.... some judges realized it had to be an error and replaced the hoops with jumps.  Others thought it was really cool and went with it.....

Some competitors loved it and laughed at their one chance to "run for it" with that error and other jump onto a rumor mill on the "new direction of NADAC"...... 

I love being offline and then returning after a week..... and some things never change.....

Sharon

I ran this course without jumps and thought how odd a course. It is like Touch N Go with Weaves. Not once did I think "OH I will never see jumps again." I just thought this is a really Odd course. Did not think it was an error but just another variation in the world of Agility.

Wish people would just have FUN and run the course. One course does not change the world.
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Off Course Agility Podcast
available on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Anchor

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »

Never happen, we all make mistakes and I let a set get past me as the reviewer and judges selected those courses and liked them!!

Jumps willl never leave...... let's stay realistic here...
 ;D

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Leanne

• Find what you love, and love what you do.
    • Youtube videos
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I actually got to run that course on 2 different weekends.

LOVED it!!  Fast , fun, and challenging.

Different is good  ;D  A breath of fresh air.  I was excited to get out there and try it.  Without the jumps it made the turns, hitting the contacts, and weave entries a bit more challenging.  Like Weavers and Touch and Go combo class.  FUN!!!

Leanne
Kent Island, MD

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »

I agree with you Ed!  I ran the course a few weeks ago in NJ - well, I tried to run the course- but managed to screw it up some.... LOL!  It was very challenging and I would LOVE to run it again - need a little redemption!!!   ::)
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Wild Terriers

Jumps as Obstacles
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »
It's always interesting to me that the people who post they are not doing much NADAC always seem to be the same people who "know" the direction NADAC is going - I wonder why that is?  I didn't get to run that course but would have loved the opportunity - as a few people have said - why does different for one class or one run have to be bad? 

Karen and the Wild Terriers
Karen and the Wild Terriers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »

Never happen, we all make mistakes and I let a set get past me as the reviewer and judges selected those courses and liked them!!

Jumps willl never leave...... let's stay realistic here...
 ;D

Sharon

Two more judges selected those courses this past weekend and begged to run them as the originals.  And they have reported that people loved to do them as something different!  I certainly wouldn't want to see this happen again, but it sure made for lots of fun for many different reasons for a lot of people!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility