Author Topic: Some Championships questions for future years!  (Read 758 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Some Championships questions for future years!
« on: September 04, 2019, 05:21:41 PM »
Hey All,

There have been some questions and ideas floating around that we would love some input on.   In regards to Championships dates and locations.

Please fill out this quick survey when you have a moment :)

https://form.jotform.com/92467346079165

ljahans

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • Ozzy, Luc & Milly
Re: Some Championships questions for future years!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:33 PM »
The survey asks if champs can move to early August.  I responded no, but only because the heat might be an issue.

The only other question asks if champs can be in the same place for 5 years.  I responded yes, but it really probably depends on the location.

Thanks
LeeAnn
Lee Ann Jahansooz

Sarah Fix

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
I responded no to the first question but not because I don't like teachers and Junior Handlers.  It's tough to train dogs in the southern half of the US in the summer unless you have access to an A/C facility.  So generally many folks take a couple of months off from training. So dogs might not be "up to speed" for Champs.  August might be cool enough somewhere in the country to host Champs but most places are way too hot.  Thinking about how miserable we were in Tennessee in late September - and August would be worse.  School starts in many places in mid August so it would need to be early August to help out the teachers and JH.  It would really put a limit on location.  And I heard complaints about 90's in Montana this week and we're already into September.
Sarah Fix
Breeze,Razz,Boogie & Jinks

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »
I responded no to the first question but not because I don't like teachers and Junior Handlers.  It's tough to train dogs in the southern half of the US in the summer unless you have access to an A/C facility.  So generally many folks take a couple of months off from training. So dogs might not be "up to speed" for Champs.  August might be cool enough somewhere in the country to host Champs but most places are way too hot.  Thinking about how miserable we were in Tennessee in late September - and August would be worse.  School starts in many places in mid August so it would need to be early August to help out the teachers and JH.  It would really put a limit on location.  And I heard complaints about 90's in Montana this week and we're already into September.

I voted no for the same reasons.  And I was a teacher so I understand the problem.  I had to "sneak in" some sick days to make it work.  But I just think it's too hot that time of year no matter what the venue of choice.  And training before hand is impossible in the south.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Ed and Dino

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
Surveys of a Yes / No type are very hard to answer.

So No/No, first one I'd be concerned with weather as others have stated, if it was an A/C cooled space then I'd say Yes.

Five years is too long if the location is too far. So the current rotation seems to provide a shot at travelling for me every 2 years.
BUT if it was the greatest place on earth to run your dog but it was in California for 5 years, I'd never get there.
Ed & Tres
Morristown, NJ

Dino (At the Bridge)

SandeeStewie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
Five years is too long if the location is too far. So the current rotation seems to provide a shot at travelling for me every 2 years.
BUT if it was the greatest place on earth to run your dog but it was in California for 5 years, I'd never get there.

So Cal just had an awesome August... warm to a bit hot at times (itís only now entering 90ís), but without the humidity that allowed it be very pleasant to trial outdoors ;) Itís not always so nice as it was this year.

For the distance cited, I donít expect many National events here. And, likewise, if its too far for others to get out here, from wherever, then that doesnít make it any shorter a distance for folks from here to go to wherever.  Same applies to other corners, and thus why a rotation around the country makes most sense from my perspective ó it keeps a national level interest alive, even if for some years some choose to skip it, thatís their/my choice. Fixed at the same location for 5 years takes that choice away from some for each and every year that is fixed, no matter where that is.

Matt.

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 06:53:58 PM »
  My first thought on the 5 years in one location...Lets say the location was somewhere in the west, too far for many of the Eastern exhibitors.  During the 5 years Champs is in the west, many eastern dogs could easily past through their prime; from Pre-Elite to Double Digit while waiting for a closer Champs.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Billie Rosen

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 07:26:20 PM »
I am afraid that having Champs in August would really limit the possible sites, since it is just too hot in most areas of the country during that time.  Also, schools start at different times in different places, and schools are in session by early to mid August in some places, so doing this wouldn't really help out that many people.  So I voted no.

And I agree with those who voted no for having it in the same place for 5 years.  We would tend to see a lot of the same people each time during those 5 years, which minimizes one of the most fun things about Champs - we get to play with different people than usual.  Meanwhile, a lot of people couldn't get to that location because of distance, and by the time Champs came to their area of the country, their dog might not so competitive.  I like that it moves around.  USDAA used to have theirs in the same place for a string of years, and now they alternate back and forth from east to west, because having it in the same place caused a lot of complaining.
Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klevír (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Trukín  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training