Author Topic: Training in the Ring - 60 Seconds  (Read 839 times)

Karen Birdsong

Training in the Ring - 60 Seconds
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »
  I have reviewed the Exhibitor's Handbook and the on-line article about training in the ring and being allowed 60 seconds to do so.  I do not see where a dog in training mode has to leave the ring should they pass through the last obstacle and/or cross the finish line prior to the end of the 60 seconds.
    It is possible for a dog to pass through the last obstacle early in their allotted time.  Example: The last obstacle is a hoop; #20.  This last obstacle is also obstacle #5.  As Obstacle #5 it is taken in the opposite direction as it will be when it is #20.  The dog in training goes wide and takes #5 in the wrong direction.  Even though the team may have been on course just a few seconds the team is told they have to leave the course as the dog had taken the last obstacle.   If such a rule exists, I canít believe this was the intent when devised.  A dog not in the training would be asses an off course and allowed to continue, but the dog in training must leave?  That last obstacle could have a double pass, so on the first past of training the dog has to leave?  Chris, would you please explain why the dog in training would not be allowed to train for 60 seconds in the scenarios.
  Thanks.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Training in the Ring - 60 Seconds
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
Karen,

I'm not sure I really understand the scenario.

If a dog has been eliminated, and they have their 60 seconds (total time, including what they've already spent in the ring, NOT an extra 60 seconds).   They can do whatever they want, long as it's safe and they aren't coming near other dogs and handlers.

Joyce Roessner

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
Are you confusing this with going through the finish hoop in Gamblers? 
Joyce Roessner
Calgary, Alberta

David Tharle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »
I've been asked something similar or same (??) a few times as what I think Karen is referring to.

"Does your run end when your dog completes the last obstacle even when you've been eliminated?"  My response has been "No unless you've utilized your 60 seconds."  Correct/in-correct?
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 05:46:03 PM »
I've been told by a judge that if you are training in the ring or not if your dog takes the last obstacle you are done and need to leave the course.

Gina Pizzo

KellyDittmar

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 08:40:44 AM »
I've also been told - by more than one judge - that you do the last obstacle and that's the end of your time in the ring even if you're training and you've only been out there for 20 seconds.
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

BeckyAH

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
Yeah, this is also a thing I have been told.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
I've been told by a judge that if you are training in the ring or not if your dog takes the last obstacle you are done and need to leave the course.

Gina Pizzo

That is a bit tricky though.    It's not as clear cut as 'dog takes last obstacle and the run is over'.

If the dog is for instance running around, and the handler is still in the middle of the course, and the dog just happens to take the last obstacle while running, I know very few judges who would say the run is now over, given the handlers position.

Now if the handler is standing right next to the last obstacle and the dog takes it, yeah you should be leaving because the next dog is going to be getting ready and you need to exit.   But I guarantee you that no one is staging to run if the handler is still in the middle of the course while they're dog is running around :)

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
Common sense is always a good thing.

That does bring up a question I had.  If a dog has the zoomies and is never really able to pull it together but the handler keeps trying to work it should that team also get maxed out at 60 seconds?

Thanks,

Gina

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 07:15:23 PM »
Common sense is always a good thing.

That does bring up a question I had.  If a dog has the zoomies and is never really able to pull it together but the handler keeps trying to work it should that team also get maxed out at 60 seconds?

Thanks,

Gina

That is a judgement call for the judge.

The general rule is once a dog has been ignoring it's handler for around 5 seconds, we say the team isn't really running the course and it becomes an E.   

So when the judge E's them, then yes they would get maxed out at 60 seconds as well.   Some judges will call it a bit later then others.

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »
  Thanks.  This particular instant was what Kelly hand mentioned.  Dog was in training, mode, had been working for ...oh 15-20 seconds.  Handler asked the dog to do the hoop next to the last obstacle (another hoop), but the dog went wide and went through the last obstacle.  Judged yelled out the he handler had to leave, and when asked why she yelled across the ring, it's in the rules, the dog went through the last hoop.

Sounds like there is some confusion on this among judges.  Thanks for the clarification that a dog in training .....as long as things are safe... can execute the last obstacle at any time during their 60 seconds and continue to work. 
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

RebeccaU

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 06:27:32 AM »
  Thanks.  This particular instant was what Kelly hand mentioned.  Dog was in training, mode, had been working for ...oh 15-20 seconds.  Handler asked the dog to do the hoop next to the last obstacle (another hoop), but the dog went wide and went through the last obstacle.  Judged yelled out the he handler had to leave, and when asked why she yelled across the ring, it's in the rules, the dog went through the last hoop.

Sounds like there is some confusion on this among judges.  Thanks for the clarification that a dog in training .....as long as things are safe... can execute the last obstacle at any time during their 60 seconds and continue to work.

Keep in mind that because the dog missed the second to the last obstacle and immediately took the last hoop, there was no training before the last obstacle was taken.  If the team had not been eliminated prior to the missed obstacle the 60-second training rule would not have applied.  The 60-second rule only applies after the team has been eliminated.
Becki, Keaton and Jet