Author Topic: Hoopers in the US  (Read 2481 times)

Sasha

Hoopers in the US
« on: December 19, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »
Is Hoopers gaining popularity in the US?  Is there any training in South Florida?  Our dog club wants to become involved with training and competing but we can't seem to find any info locally.  Thank you!

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
Re: Hoopers in the US
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »
Hi Sasha,

I am not quite sure I can answer your question about popularity.  Here in the US, Hoopers is one of the nine different classes that NADAC offers at a trial. Each of them are popular and fun to run. Most clubs offer 6-9 different classes over their weekend's trial. If you are interested in learning what the other classes are, I would suggest downloading the rules in the NADAC Exhibitor Handbook from the www.nadac.com website.  Scroll down the websites home page and click on the Rules button to download the Handbook. The Handbook has lots of information about the different classes but at the very back pages of the Handbook are samples of the different course maps for all the classes. (Including the Hoopers class we run here in the US.)

The closest NADAC club in Southern Florida that may be able to help you with finding a trainer is Cool Critters Agility Group, Tampa Bay Boxer Club
Contact: Ileana Nadal , Valrico, FL - USA      coolcrittersdogagility@gmail.com

I do not know if this club does any training but they may be able to direct you to someone that does train the NADAC classes.
Marj Vincent
Scotty, Java & Kayce
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

RobertStewart

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 03:42:16 AM »
Is Hoopers gaining popularity in the US?  Is there any training in South Florida?  Our dog club wants to become involved with training and competing but we can't seem to find any info locally.  Thank you!

One of the many things I love about NADAC, is the flat work games such as Hoopers, Berrelers, Weavers, Tunnelers.  they are great for training young dogs so they don't get too much impact on those developing growth plates, and they are great for the seniors who don't need to be jumping or on contact equipment any more to help "keep them in the game".  I've used Hoopers to show greener students how to navigate through a course, how to chunk down the sequences, and how to connect the sequences with flow. Hoopers is one of those games that really offers a great deal to dogs and handlers alike. you have all of the basic agility configurations, (180's, Serpentines, wraps, there's lots of potential off course situations) the big plus is that it's much lower impact on the dogs joints.

hope you find a great trainer in your area!
Robert Stewart
NATCH-4 Sidheag, PAX, MXP3, MXJP3, MFP, APD

Wynndzor, ECC, OJC, EAC, TG-E, S-TN-E, WV-E, BR-E, HP-O AX, AXJ, AXF

At the Bridge
NATCH-12, V-NATCH-11, AA-NATCH-4, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, Rocket Man
NATCH-4  MACH PDCH Brnz Ellie
NATCH-4  Misty Leigh
NATCH-4  "Q!"

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
I agree.  I hope we can still get enough of the flat work courses.  With the introduction of Gamblers, I know we are going to see Hoopers and Barrelers suffer.  Most likely now one won't be offered at trials where sometimes both were.  I think the classes with flatwork are great for new dogs and old dogs who don't need to be overexerting themselves and can still have fun in the game. I am cutting way back on my trialing in 2020 due to financial reasons and doing more obedience competitions since that will cut my cost per weekend in half.  But, I plan on getting my VersNATCHs still with Hoopers and Barrelers as we are not fans of Gamblers.
Lorrie Stelz
Kaiden: NATCH 16 V-NATCH 13 AA NATCH 5 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT BN RI URO1 MX MXJ MXF EGC TKI IT
Tripp: NATCH 11, V-NATCH 6 AA NATCH 5 BB's Embrace The Journey CD BN RN URO1 EGC TKI IT
Sketch: NATCH, VersNATCH Nothin' But A Good Time TKI, IT

Lynne Almeida

• Trial Secretary
    • Owner - Spellbinder Books
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 08:39:41 PM »
I too have been really grateful for the variety of flatwork classes offered by NADAC.  They've been so nice for my older gal as I dropped her from one jumping or contact class after another over the last few years.  Hoopers especially has been her favorite class over the last year or so ... with the new course style, just enough distance with the optional line to give us 'enough' challenge: it really makes me focus on my handling, but not too much so as to be out of Willow's comfort zone.  She really became the queen of the 15-pointer over the last couple seasons!

I'll be happy to try Gamblers with my young girl, but also sad if it pushes Hoopers and Barrelers into the background.
work it ... own it ... believe it!