Author Topic: Tugging and Toys final vote page  (Read 1040 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Tugging and Toys final vote page
« on: February 02, 2020, 12:49:57 PM »
Hey all,

We've finally gotten the voting page up for the Tugging and Toys in the ring final decision.

Sorry for the delay!
We'll leave these links up for a week and then announce the final vote next week :)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Tugging

Nancy H

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
    • Stewie JRT-Agility Blog
Re: Tugging and Toys final vote page
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
Hi Chris

If toys continue,any chance of being allowed to have them in Open as well as Novice and Intro?  I would love to be able to reward 12 poles..

Thanks
Nancy Hoffman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nancy and Skipper JRT

Ed and Dino

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
I am going to make a comment about toys. I voted to still allow it.

Tres is an Intro dog and start line focus is a problem for us.

When the handler/dog in front of us shows the toy, I am not going to enter the ring when I would when there is no toy.

This is because I see the toy being thrown in all directions at any place on the course including the end obstacle.

I do not need that extra distraction for my dog at start line, I have never been penalized for entering late but I've annoyed a gate steward for not going in when told, I'm sure.

I have a video of Tres playing with a soccer T that was being used to mark where the leash runner was supposed to put the leash on the ground when requested. So a real toy being thrown with a dog chasing it is not what I want Tres to see when trying to get focus on the start line waiting at first obstacle.

I know FOCUS is my training issue but I don't want it to be harder due to a toy for another dog.
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Off Course Agility Podcast
available on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Anchor

paragonpaps

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
Personally I would like to see toys allowed for all levels.  Elite dogs should be able to handle a toy in the ring IMO.  I have one elite dog (sorry secretaries) that I am going to be moving from Intro/Novice and back up to elite working on things with a toy.  Need to reward in the trial ring as this is the ONLY place I am having issues with. Yes, it is a training issue and we are going back to foundation training.
Wanda, Godzilla and Valkyrie

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:02:51 AM »
I love being able to have a toy in the ring at Intro and Novice level.  No matter how hard you try, you can't duplicate the trial environment for training.  I mostly train alone or, rarely, with one or two friends.  There is no ring crew sitting around the ring, no judge, no scoring table in the ring, and no dogs and people milling about outside the ring.  The toy helps my baby dog stay focused and has helped him learn what he is supposed to do.  He LOVES people and want to visit everyone in the ring so the toy helps keep him with me.  My hope is that by the time we are ready to compete in Novice, we won't need the toy.  However, if there is a time when we do, I will most certainly use it in Novice or move him back down to a level where we can use the toy to regain focus.  Thank goodness NADAC allows this type training.  It makes for happy dog and happy handler!!!!

Sara 
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
Blaze, Rocket & Dancer

At The Bridge:  NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane & Mac

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »
 Ed and Dino wrote:  When the handler/dog in front of us shows the toy, I am not going to enter the ring when I would when there is no toy.

I understand Ed's concern.  I believe that any time the gates are closed for a dog, the next one should not be required to enter the ring until the one on course is leashed.  I have often held back when the gate is closed as I do not know why that handler has asked for the gates to be closed.    I do think it is my responsibility as the next handler to be at the gate, watching closely, and then enter the ring immediately upon the prior dog being leashed...or before if my assessment of the situation is that my dog will be safe. Thank goodness judges seem to acknowledge this and do not call delay of start on a handler that is just outside the gate being attentive and get their dog to the start line. 

It is nice to think handlers close gates because their dog like to run out of the ring to a friend, but some close the gates because their dogs have aggression issues. 

In another venue I had one such dog slip his lead, and run towards my dog.  I had entered through the closed gate thinking that dog was secure on leash.  I my panic to get my dog to safety I was not able to get the gate open.  Thank goodness the gate person was right there and was able to help me get my dog safely to the other side of the gate.

Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.