Author Topic: Dog walk Adhesive  (Read 839 times)

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
Dog walk Adhesive
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
On aluminum, new surface what is the best adhesive to use on belting? Any suggestions for preparation. Club buying new walk and going to use belting so as not to have to replace A-Frame surface. Thanks in advance. Supplier of dogwalk had had issues with belting stitcking so reluctant to using belting and I'm reluctant to replacing surface on A-Frame. Local so would like to make this work.
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Sarah Fix

• Judge
Re: Dog walk Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
We've used Weldwood Contact Cement from Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement and had no problem.  They do recommend a specific temperature range for application so we had to do it inside in the winter.  Use clamps to make sure the edges get well glued.  We clamped the two ramps together until they were dry - and then used pieces of wood along the top.
Sarah Fix
Breeze,Razz,Boogie & Jinks

Rena Bonem

• Trial Secretary
    • Baylor University Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
We also used DAP Weldwood contact cement.  Used 3 coats and it lasts longer than the belting!  We coated the belting and the metal.  Let it dry.  Repeat and the 3rd time we attached the rubber while the glue was still tacky.  I believe it should be applied when temperature is in the 70's or 80's.  Also be sure it is not windy and make sure you have a lot of people to help position the rubber over the contact equipment.  The folks at Shipp also suggest roughing up or sanding both the equipment and belting, but we did not have to do that on our equipment.  E6000 glue can be used for touchups. 

Rena (who lives about a mile from Shipp Belting)
Rena Bonem, Trial Secretary Waco Agility Group
Brady and Lady Bug, Goldie: under couch potato, and Lucy, Will'em, and Tess, my agility angels

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »
Sand the aluminum really well and follow the steps Rena mentioned above. The multiple coats and solid clamping is a HUGE key. if your 3rd coat accidentally gets too dry, just wait it out and do another coat. You do NOT want to try and get it to adhere when its beyond the tacky stage.

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 08:39:46 PM »
I would highly suggest NO glue of any sorts if going on aluminum.  Just use self tapping screws and screw down all the sides about 5 inches apart.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
I've used MasterWeld 948 (formerly Chemrex) on 3 A-frames and 2 dog walks and have never had to re-do them! I've only had the edges slightly come up from being dragged or moved improperly. It has worked great for my trial equipment that stays stored except for my trials as well as my practice equipment that is out in the CO UV rays year round.

It comes in caulk tubes and I spread with a trowel.

Lindsey

Cory Wajda

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »
I second Jeannie’s recommendation for screws instead of adhesive. I've done several sets of contacts with black anodized screws that blend right in with the belting.
No mess, and easy to remove if you ever need to replace the belting.
Cory
Cory Wajda
Sand Lake, NY