Author Topic: Trials Cancelled through March 31st  (Read 1356 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Trials Cancelled through March 31st
« on: March 16, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
Hello Everyone,

As promised here is a more in depth response to NADAC Cancelling all trials until March 31st.

This decision has not been made lightly, and it was made with the knowledge that it could possibly affect NADAC in such a way that it's future is put in jeopardy from a financial standpoint.

The truth is no one truly knows what the end result of this virus is going to be.    Best case scenario is that virus blows over, and the loss of life is minimal.
Worst case is that hundreds of thousands, if not millions are left dead from this virus.

No one can say for sure which of those scenarios will play out.

NADAC has never been a major corporation.  We currently have 6 full time employees, so we are not doing this for share holders or anyone's pocket book.   What that also means is that certain decisions leave a lasting mark on us, as people, not so much on NADAC as an organization.

In the end the decision to cancel trials could be catastrophic for us.   But I can not knowingly put our judges at risk during travel, our competitors at risk during events, or risk spreading the virus even more by holding events when the possibility of the end result being so many lives lost.

NADAC as an organization could survive that, but I could not live with that on my conscious as a person who made the decision.

At least this way I can sleep at night knowing we did everything in our power.  Whether it ends up being needed or not.

Now for the logistics of this decision.

Currently most airlines I believe are refunding tickets with no change fees, and the full ticket price.   I can not say this is 100% true for every airline, but the couple judges we have dealt with in the past 24 hours have confirmed it for their airlines.   This should eliminate a large point of concern from a financial standpoint for clubs.

The other major concern is facilities charging a cancellation fee for events.    It seems that most facilities are understanding the gravity of the current situation and are waiving these fees, but it is possible that some facilities won't be doing this.

When the dust settles on a cancelled trial we don't want to leave the club on the hook for all the lost expenses.   This is a case where the saying 'many hands make light work' comes into play.    If every competitor can forego a small portion of their entry fee, then the club won't have to pay those expenses when they might not be able to afford it.  If a trial had 40 competitors, and each competitor paid $160 for that weekend, then a 80% refund to each competitor would still leave the club with $1280 to pay the facility cancellation fee.  Costing each competitor $32.     I hope that competitors would be okay with this scenario in order to ensure that future trials can be held.

I'm sure there will be more announcements made over the coming days/weeks and we will be doing our best to eep our community safe and healthy during these times.

NADAC Folks rock, and we can make it through this :)

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
Re: Trials Cancelled through March 31st
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »
Thanks for your decision Chris. I know people will miss playing the game that we love, but if a few weeks away can help ease or curb the spread of Corvid 19, I am behind it 110%. Hoping & praying a different & positive turn will take place going forward.

And, on a personal/judging level, I am thankful for your decision. Flying to & from MD this past weekend was a somber event. I made sure to thoroughly wash my hands, as usual,  used my phone for my boarding pass & declined drinks & snacks from flight attendants. Flights were light on people & heavy on empty seats. I would have been driving to an assignment this weekend, but staying home works for me just fine.

May we all stay healthy & take care of ourselves. “Cyber” hugs & support to all.

Bernie
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: Trials Cancelled through March 31st
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »
Man, I hate this, but I think you guys have made the right decision for everybody's safety.  Thank for that, Chris.  Prayers for all of us who love and play the game and for all those who provide us the opportunity to have a blast with our kiddos!!!!!
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven, newbie Bumper, in training.
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup, both waiting at the Bridge