Author Topic: COVID-19 Update, March 22  (Read 1181 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
COVID-19 Update, March 22
« on: March 22, 2020, 03:31:02 PM »
Hi all,

We've been getting a lot of requests wanting to know how we're handling trials for April.
At this point we feel we're in a bit of a stalemate, in that we need to see how the next 10 days progress.

All trials for the first weekend in April have already cancelled, so we aren't concerned about announcing for that weekend.

We do still have trials booked for the second weekend.      We'll be monitoring the situation and making any announcements on April 1st in regards to whether more trials will need to be cancelled.    That should give all clubs ample amounts of time to cancel without any terrible fees from the facilities.   

We know that people would like more lead time, but quite frankly there is just no way to have that in this time.

Thank you all for your understanding

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: COVID-19 Update, March 22
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 06:36:48 PM »
This is just my opinion - and in NO WAY contradicting Chris!  The man in charge is in charge!

But seriously, is there anyone in this country (and Canada.....another story!) that thinks this pandemic is going to LESSEN in the next month?  Or two?  Or maybe even three?  I'm as anxious as anyone to be trialing again - the sooner, the better!

I'm just crossing my fingers that Champs can happen. 
Call me a pessimist if you wish. I prefer "realist."

Wash your hands, stay home as much as possible, and hug your dogs!!
diane

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »
I thinkeveryone is hoping but most (at least, who are following things) know it wont be over quickly. Exponential growth phase which has outpaced even Italy’s. :(
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

BeckyAH

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 07:07:43 PM »
This is just my opinion - and in NO WAY contradicting Chris!  The man in charge is in charge!

But seriously, is there anyone in this country (and Canada.....another story!) that thinks this pandemic is going to LESSEN in the next month?  Or two?  Or maybe even three?  I'm as anxious as anyone to be trialing again - the sooner, the better!

I'm just crossing my fingers that Champs can happen. 
Call me a pessimist if you wish. I prefer "realist."

Wash your hands, stay home as much as possible, and hug your dogs!!
diane

I think there are people who expect it to go away pretty fast.   I don't think those people are right, and think that we're probably looking at at least 3+ months.

But it's also all speculation.  Right now we just don't have ANY timeline or answers.  All we can do is - well, stay home, wash our hands and try to stay sane and take it as it comes.

BeckyAH

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
I thinkeveryone is hoping but most (at least, who are following things) know it wont be over quickly. Exponential growth phase which has outpaced even Italy’s. :(

Yeeep and if that's not a chilling thought, I don't know what is.

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:47 PM »
Well I'm not usually the optimistic one, but no one really knows and I'm still hopeful.

Gina Pizzo

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
In my personal opinion.

I believe this will last much longer than anyone is 'hoping' it will.

Trust I want to be as optimistic as anyone, I've got two trials coming up in April, a couple in May.

Not to mention April is the largest month we have in regards to recording fees being sent in, April is a big part of the 'winter fund' that keeps NADAC alive from December through February which is the dead season for us.

I would love for April trials to happen.    I'm not optimistic though.    I think by April 1st things are going to be worse, not better.

I say that as Oregon just announced a stay in place, with all non essential store fronts closing.

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
  I have a dear friend that has been the head of Internal Medicine at a major hospital operated by a very large medical organization.  She has asked that I share a YouTube presentation withas many as I could in believe that education is gold.

It explains how this can grow exponentially in socieity and how it grows within our bodies..  I hope it is appropriate to share this.  The intent is not to get into a pro/con discussion, just to provide a source of information.

This doctor owns 3 dogs that she shows in agility, confirmation and obedience, while playing at herding.  My agility club has been relying heavily on her suggestions when we our decision regarding the cancellation of our trials. We have cancelled both March and April.

The Science Behind the Coronavirus 

The presentation is long 33 minutes.  I found it extremely informative.  Maybe it will help your group with their decision regarding up coming trials.

Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
In my personal opinion.

Trust I want to be as optimistic as anyone, I've got two trials coming up in April, a couple in May.

Not to mention April is the largest month we have in regards to recording fees being sent in, April is a big part of the 'winter fund' that keeps NADAC alive from December through February which is the dead season for us.

I would love for April trials to happen.    I'm not optimistic though.    I think by April 1st things are going to be worse, not better.

I say that as Oregon just announced a stay in place, with all non essential store fronts closing.

Chris, what can we, as competitors, do to help NADAC survive?  I'm doing my best to VT as often as I can but I also expect a shelter in place at some point soon.  We are being perfectly safe doing VT as it is literally just us out there but I have to rent the yard where we VT which means we can't do it when we get sheltered (since it isn't my backyard).  So what else can we do?  I want to ensure my favorite agility organization survives and I know I'm not alone!

-Amy
Amy and the schnauzers

Pam Kaye

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 07:44:54 PM »
Lockdown in WA also.

Thanks, Karen Birdsong, for the video!

Pam Kaye
Cash, Cirrus and Flame
Sequim, WA

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
In my personal opinion.

Chris, what can we, as competitors, do to help NADAC survive?  I'm doing my best to VT as often as I can but I also expect a shelter in place at some point soon.  We are being perfectly safe doing VT as it is literally just us out there but I have to rent the yard where we VT which means we can't do it when we get sheltered (since it isn't my backyard).  So what else can we do?  I want to ensure my favorite agility organization survives and I know I'm not alone!

-Amy

We're working on some backup plans right now.

We currently have about four different plans, depending on how things go with each one.

So we'll just wait and see how the coming weeks go, and go from there.

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »
Id recommend checking your shelter in place rules.
The Birmingham one for example specifically allows leaving to exercise (in places outdoors where there is minimal contact with others) and to care for your pets health and wellness. Id think agility could count under both categories especially if outdoor field.

Im not saying be stupid but an outdoor field only you there is clearly a safe place to go.
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith