Author Topic: Contact Equipment  (Read 3195 times)

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
Contact Equipment
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
With all the improvements in rubber surfaces and the slats being built right into the surface has there been any thoughts of allowing clubs to use equipment with approved slats on contact equipment. Just thinking might get a few clubs or facilities that have such equipment a chance to giving NADAC a go. Also might see more virtual runs. I know training field I train at would be a great place to have some virtual runs but equipment has slats. Win win for all if slats are allowed. We submit virtual runs and NADAC gets money. Just wondering your thoughts Chris Nelson
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Amy McGovern

Re: Contact Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
John, Chris already posted that slats were ok at this time for VT... search the forum.
Amy and the schnauzers

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
Amy thatís great. Could you direct me to his thoughts on that? Still would like to address slats in moving forward. More clubs more money for NADAC
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Amy McGovern

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Not sure if this will work but here is the post where he said they were allowed:

http://www.nadac.com/forum/index.php?topic=8874.msg57041#msg57041

Amy and the schnauzers

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 02:46:35 PM »
John,

We have talked about it quite a bit during this "down time". Things may possibly change moving forward, but that is still to be determined. Chris will let everyone know if we make a change for sure!

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 06:12:39 AM »
Please don't even consider putting slats back on the equipment.  I don't care how well molded into the equipment they are, they still cause injuries and, IMHO, are not needed.  Thanks for letting me express my feelings. 

Sara
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
Blaze, Rocket & Dancer

At The Bridge:  NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane & Mac

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
I agree with Sara. However, if it were to be allowed for a regular trial, I hope it would need to be stated in the premium so that those of us who would not run our dogs on the slatted equipment could avoid entering trials where they would be in use.
Jeff L.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 09:58:02 AM »
Let me say up front I am not a fan of slats.  That being said, I believe there different types of slats (our club has a molded fiberglass surface with maybe 1/2" slats built in) which I feel aren't that bad.  I would think NADAC would have to inspect any slatted equipment prior to allowing it's use.
Linda Anderson
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

David Tharle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
I thought some of the venues were considering the phasing out of slats, because of the newer, safer surfaces available. Given the uproar some competitors had about metal jump cups, one piece jump standards, tunnel bagging, etc., I thought slats would have been on their way out long ago.

And I agree with Jeff, if allowed, it should be noted in the premium.
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
We are allowing slats for VT runs just because of the current situations.

As far as letting them be used outside of that,   It would need to be done with a few other things in place.

The biggest one being an educational video on why having slats, with the advances in rubber contacts, is 100% completely useless.

If they were allowed in trials, it would ONLY be for brand new clubs who don't have access to non slatted contacts.   And it would also be done with an agreement in place that a certain amount of the trial profits would be going into a savings account to purchase slat less contacts.    Nothing that would bankrupt anyone, just something like 10% of the profits.    So a club putting on decent sized trials could afford slat less contacts after a couple years.

And yes it would 100% have to be in the premium if it ever happened.

Keeping in mind everything I just said is a very large 'if'

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
Let me say up front I am not a fan of slats.  That being said, I believe there different types of slats (our club has a molded fiberglass surface with maybe 1/2" slats built in) which I feel aren't that bad.  I would think NADAC would have to inspect any slatted equipment prior to allowing it's use.
Linda Anderson
I should clarify this comment - we have both slatted and rubber belted contact equipment for training only (in two separate fields).  Our competition NADAC equipment is rubber belted!
Linda Anderson
Star City Canine
Roanoke, VA
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
If we did allow slats for new clubs, it would only be the rubber covered ones.    I'll attach a picture.

And to reiterate, since people are already emailing.

IF, this were to happen it would ONLY be for NEW clubs that DO NOT have access to non slatted equipment.     It would NOT be an option for an existing NADAC club that already has non slatted equipment to change over to Slatted.   And if a new club did go this route, a certain percentage of the trial profits would need to be set aside for the eventual purchase of non slatted contacts.

Again, this is all IF this were to even happen.

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »
Thank you, Chris, for keeping NADAC slatless, outside of new clubs.  As you said, they are pointless with improvement in contact surfaces and I think they increase the risk of injury.
Lorrie Stelz
Kaiden: NATCH 16 V-NATCH 13 AA NATCH 5 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT BN RI URO1 MX MXJ MXF EGC TKI IT
Tripp: NATCH 11, V-NATCH 6 AA NATCH 5 BB's Embrace The Journey CD BN RN URO1 EGC TKI IT
Sketch: NATCH, VersNATCH Nothin' But A Good Time TKI, IT

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 06:24:22 AM »
Not trying to start a argument. Have thought of a few locations in the Midwest that I could bring NADAC to and see if it would go but if everybody is so against slats  I'll not waste my time and energy.  Hopefully we can make it through this rough times and the venue we love can survive.  Everybody stay safe.
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 07:48:06 AM »
I wouldn't say it's a waste.

It's just a hard conversation for a lot of long time NADAC people since it feels like a step backward.

If this was being proposed to an AKC or CPE club, I bet they would be very open to the idea, and the majority of their competitors would be very open to the idea.

But mentioning bringing back slats to a bunch of NADAC people, it's just not going to go well.    Doesn't mean it's a bad idea, it just has to be approached in a way that doesn't feel like a step backwards in progression for the people who have supported the venue for so long.

I think having it as an option for new clubs would be a great idea, this would also open up a LOT more areas to do NADAC, and it would also make a lot more countries have viable options as well.