Author Topic: VT Chances  (Read 1065 times)

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
VT Chances
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
For VTs, is it okay to have more than one level line on the course for chances?  Because of limited contact with other people, we are scheduling VTs so that people sign up, drop in, and run the courses we have set.  So, not touching of the equipment is necessary (no course building).  Since a number of people want chances, but are not in the same levels, it would be helpful to be able to put EON lines all down at the same time. Since the submitter will input the level they are running, that will determine which line they had to honor...  OKAY?
Jeff L.

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
Re: VT Chances
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »
Yes that sounds perfectly fine.  As long as we can see the lines and know the level all is good :)  We want as many people to be able to play that can with minimal exposure... you all are doing awesome!
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Amy McGovern

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »
I love that idea!  We were discussing how we could setup a course and share it but we were not sure how to do it properly with distancing and stuck with just us.  When I'm out of quarantine, we will be back running again and will see what we can do about that idea...
Amy and the schnauzers

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
I noticed that in a couple of intro courses the dog walk was on the diagram, but not an obstacle in the course.  If we are setting up that course, do we need to have the dogwalk on the field?
Isabel and Cocoa

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
For INTRO ONLY, if the contact is NOT taken in Chances you can leave it out.  This is just for the time being to help people out with building courses that may not have a full set of equipment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:03:07 PM by Jeannie Biggers »
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

RobertStewart

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 04:30:54 AM »
For INTRO ONLY, if the contact is NOT taken in Chances you can leave it out.  This is just for the time being to help people out with building courses that may not have a full set of equipment.

Thank you  Jeannie! That's good info to have. And it does save a love of wear and tear on those of us trying to get those "extra" points and help out! When things get to whatever the "new normal" will be, we'll need a list of reminders haha.
Robert Stewart

NATCH-12, V-NATCH-11, AA-NATCH-4, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, VVD  Rocket Man

NATCH-3 Sidheag, PAX, MXP3, MXJP3, MFP, APD

Wynndzor, ECC, OJC, OAC, TG-E, S-TN-E, WV-E, BR-E, HP-O AX, AXJ, AXF

At the Bridge
NATCH-4  MACH Ellie
NATCH-4  Misty Leigh
NATCH-4  Q

sunnyedog

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »
Hi All,

I am really embracing the opportunity provided by VT.
My spirits are definitely higher!! 

I am new to course building, I have utter respect for course builders and tracking track layers.
I know at trials I have seen course maps with the coordinates pre-printed on them.
Is it possible that future VT maps will be available with the coordinates provided?

Thanks for consideration of my inquiry,

Allison

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
I highly doubt that is going to happen since, I am guessing, 90% of the people building courses are NADAC exhibitors that have never seen a co-ordinate, would not have a clue what it means. Plus those that are trained to build NADAC courses use the grid lines that are currently set up. And many of the course builders for the VTs are NADAC judges/trainers/trial course builders.
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

RobertStewart

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »
Hi All,

I am really embracing the opportunity provided by VT.
My spirits are definitely higher!! 

I am new to course building, I have utter respect for course builders and tracking track layers.
I know at trials I have seen course maps with the coordinates pre-printed on them.
Is it possible that future VT maps will be available with the coordinates provided?

Thanks for consideration of my inquiry,

Allison

To add a bit to what Marge said, Coordinates work great in other venues AKC and USDAA, but in NADAC things are quite different in course building. I've done course building in every venue it seems.

Learn to pace your courses. Generally obstacle to obstacle is 21 feet. If not, it's indicated on the course map. Don't try to figure out that it looks 15 feer on the map, if it is 15 feet, it will say it on the map.  You can either cut a length of rope to 21 feet, or you can learn to pace the distance.  You can figure out what your pace is by practicing along side of the weave poles which are the exact distance you are looking for! As you're setting the course look at the course from every angle, are things set up in the right "line"

VT's are a great opportunity for the dogs and handlers alike to practice on Real NADAC courses!

Many members of our club would never have had the push/courage to even compete if they hadn't had some initial success in the VT process.

You'll become much more appreciative of how much work goes into course building as you set more courses.

Actually right now, doing some VT's is helping keep some of us (relatively) sane! Best of luck on your VT's
Robert Stewart

NATCH-12, V-NATCH-11, AA-NATCH-4, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, VVD  Rocket Man

NATCH-3 Sidheag, PAX, MXP3, MXJP3, MFP, APD

Wynndzor, ECC, OJC, OAC, TG-E, S-TN-E, WV-E, BR-E, HP-O AX, AXJ, AXF

At the Bridge
NATCH-4  MACH Ellie
NATCH-4  Misty Leigh
NATCH-4  Q

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »
One more bit of advice on measuring 21 feet. Cut a 21 foot piece of garden hose. It has some stiffness, and so will give you a better idea of the arc of a dogs actual path of travel. This was a tip to newbie judges from years ago, and makes it easier to visualize the dog's path.

Good luck!

Murrelet
Murrelet Halterman
Avian Researcher At Large