Author Topic: NADAC Reopening  (Read 3557 times)

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
NADAC Reopening
« on: May 01, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »
Any updates as to what plans are for starting up trials? First trial of the year not till June  for our club but need to determine if just best to cancel. Donít want to have to pay a cancellation fee if we wait to long. Thanks for any updates. Stay strong/Stay safe
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: NADAC Reopening
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 09:40:34 PM »
At this point the NADAC office won't be cancelling any more events.

We are working on a couple different waivers that both exhibitors and clubs would need to sign.   The club waiver is basically stating the the club is going to be following all local and state regulations in regards to COVID19.

Whether it's truly the best time to start trials is a bit of a rough conversation though.    I personally wouldn't want to hold a trial anytime before June, but maybe other areas are feeling differently about that.

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »
Thanks for the update Chris.  Now we have to see if our facility is going to reopen in time to put on a trial.
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery

Amy McGovern

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
Chris, are you going to have any NADAC-wide rules in place or just let them follow local ones?  I've seen some at other organizations that are starting to reopen that seem to be quite useful (to be very clear: masks, requiring crating to be distanced, changing leashing so you are the only one touching your leash, requiring hand-washing, spacing out people going into the ring, etc).
Amy and the schnauzers

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »
 I've read some of these Amy.  Appears folks are spending a lot of time trying to figure out how best to address the numerous issues. There are a lot of good ideas.
     I remember....in the ancient days... at a judging clinic Sharon discussed the thought of allowing handlers to carry a leash with them.  While it never came about, it might work now.  Handler was allowed to put a leash in their pocket and run with it.  Similar to a containerized treat, it had to fit entirely into their pocket.  It had to be in their pocket before leaving the start line area and could not come out until the dog had crossed the finish line.  Of course not all leashes are going to fit into one's pocket.  Leashes similar to that used in the confirmation ring, vet's offices and groomers it will.  If they enter on the light weight leash the handler may drop a more substantial leash outside the ring to put on their dog once they left the ring. 
   At the time the discussion was about how to get dog/handler teams out of the ring faster when they were excused (pottied in the ring, etc)  or displayed a behavior where the handler wants to "catch" their dog and walk out. Example the zoomies, or pup keeps visiting pole setters) We know this almost always happens when they are at the back of the ring.  At that time discussion, one suggestion was to allow this light weight leash to be in the handler's pocket at all times, even if them came in on a different leash; one they left at the start line.  It was like an insurance policy.   Just a thought.
   The densely populated states may be among the last to open to such events.  We'll be watching to see what the rest of you come up with. 
     Please keep sharing ideas.  It will help us host the safer trials.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Chris wrote....We are working on a couple different waivers that both exhibitors and clubs would need to sign.   The club waiver is basically stating the the club is going to be following all local and state regulations in regards to COVID19.

I'm glad to hear this.  I've been thinking that our club should add something to the waiver regarding the virus and that handlers are responsible for themselves. They are expected to know the local and state regulations and accept all risks upon entering the trial.  I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea of how to write a waiver that will protect the club, the organizers, officers and all the members.   The sites owners may have their own waivers, once they are allowed to reopen.  I felt NADAC would have something to help protect the organization.

Thanks for working on this.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

Billie Rosen

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 02:39:47 PM »
I definitely agree that one of the easiest ways to address the issue of the leash runner and social distancing is to just allow people to carry their leashes in their pockets, like we are doing with the VT's.  If people don't want to do that, the leash runner can use a grabber and just drop it in a designated place at the end of the course.
Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klevír (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Trukín  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training

cgammage

• Practice Makes Pawfect
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 05:59:58 AM »
While the grabber may protect the leash runner, it might cross-contaminate everyone's leashes.
Christy

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »
While I truly understand people's wishes to get back to having trials, a whole bunch of questions ran through my head. OK, so you're working on the leashing issue. That's great, but there's so much more....

* Are people really going to run with their mask on? What if it doesn't fit correctly, truly covering the nose and chin? Will something be said?
* Masks can be terribly hard to breathe through. What if someone truly gets lightheaded? Now others have to see to their care. Is that something we need to deal with?
* What if someone only uses the mask partially while running (drops it low to expose the nose or even the mouth) while saying they can't breathe while running and will put it right back up at then end of the run? That's not safe.
* Are clubs supposed to be in charge of the "social distancing" or will they be having to appoint someone as a type of "safety monitor"? Who the heck wants that job? And, are they really going to do the job properly by actually enforcing proper mask usage and proper distancing? Are they supposed to patrol the whole site constantly? If clubs truly believe people will do this all on their own I have serious, serious doubts.  From what I'm seeing, people in public spaces are not following the distancing guidelines or even wearing masks as they were. I doubt an agility trial will be much different.

* Are clubs going to be providing gloves for all members of the set-up, take down and course builder crews?
* What about the club providing gloves for all bar setters? What about the chairs the bar setters sit in - how do you clean them between workers?

* Has the club truly thought through the liability issues? Have you checked with your insurance company to see what they will/won't cover?
* Is catching the virus an "act of God" as it might be interpreted by your insurance company?
* In California, some types of non-profit organizations' board of directors are protected and can not be sued as individuals. In your area is that true also? Or, can the injured party try to go after the club and the directors individually also?

* I think it's great that Chris is working on a waiver - am assuming that will "protect" NADAC but, will it protect the club and/or individuals also? 

I know I sound like a "Negative Nancy" but the world is a scary place right now. We don't have good scientific and legal answers to say that "doing this and this will keep our club safe". (Heck, Congress is even working on that right now.) I'd just hate to hear of a club and it's members who got sued just because they wanted to have fun with their dogs, invited a bunch of other people to do the same and someone got sick. (Or worse.)

If there's answers to these problems and how other organizations are handling them, I'd love to hear about them. Ease my mind a bit anyway.  :)

JMHO,
Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
We are working on a few different things right now.

1) There will be a club agreement in place, basically saying that the club is agreeing to run the trial according to all state and federal regulations in regards to social distancing and safety precautions.
2) There will be a exhibitor waiver, that covers both NADAC and the club.
3) We're going to have a list of mandatory rules that must be followed.
4) We're going to have a list of advised rules that we suggest following.
5) Leashes will be allowed to be carried into the ring, we're nailing down a few options there.   A gal in another group posted a pretty handy way of tying a leash around your shoulders and behind your back that would work well for people who can't fit the leash into their pockets.       Might also be easier to just allow fanny packs to be used for carrying the leash as well.

Like Kyle said though, this is addressing some of the issues, but there is still a long list of problems that could happen.     Honestly one of the biggest is going to be the 'line' between people who agree that the virus is a large issue, and the folks who don't think it's an issue at all.

I've been seeing a lot of posts from people on how to use a bunch of legal jargon to basically force businesses to let you into their stores without a mask by quoting different HIPPA and ADA laws.    Which I would say is about the same as bringing your dog onto an airplane when they don't actually have any training for support work.   So that could be an issue when a club requires masks to be worn, and you get people who refuse and quote these laws, even if incorrect it still puts the club in a pretty awkward position of turning away a competitor, that they might not ever get back.

We for the most part are lucky in that we can keep politics out of agility, and everyone gathers around to play something we all enjoy.   I'm very worried that this is going to cause a line in the sand, and clubs are going to lose competitors because of it, since now how you view the virus is going to greatly affect your trials.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »
As an "elderly" person (I definitely don't feel elderly), I haven't seen anything being discussed about us.  Around here (VA) some people over 65 are being asked to stay home which puts me in a position of having to defy the recommendation to go to trials even if I feel safe in doing so.  Don't mean to start anything, but this seems to be age discrimination to me.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 12:39:22 PM »
I dont know about a lot of this. It is coming up here if we can start classes again. So we are thinking too!

I just have another thought re leashes - in SAR we usually get a custom length biothane lead made. There is a ring on the leash handle and it is the length of your waist (or if really skinny and want longer, two wraps). It means we always have a leash on us that is totally out of the way and quick to grab if needed since you wear it like a belt (just, not through pant loops, usually, lol).

Its quick easy out of the way and doesn't flop or snag.
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

agilityaddict2

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
Linda,
I too am 65. They are not legally requiring us to stay home , just recommending. No age discrimination. If you feel comfortable venturing out, then do so. If you're not comfortable, by all means stay home. I think it is going to come down to a personal decision for many of us.

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 06:06:32 PM »
I know the running with a mask issue is  being a problem for agility classes returning.  Some people think it's too hard to run with a mask on and won't return to class if they're required and then there's people like me who are really not comfortable with multiple people running a course without a mask on.  I think we're all going to have to be making choices based on our own comfort level; at least until they know more about transmission.

Gina Pizzo

John H. Gooldy

• 4 Paws Embroidery
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 06:11:00 PM »
Looks like this is going to be a wild ride. Have 3 trials this summer but after reading all of these responses makes we wonder if I want to even try and put on trials this summer. Not sure we can get all the sanitizers and such that we would need. Still not sure when our soccer facility will reopen so might not have a choice.
John and Ida Gooldy
4 Paws Embroidery