Author Topic: NADAC Reopening  (Read 3556 times)

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
Re: NADAC Reopening
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 07:37:55 AM »
I mean... relevant https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
This site has good data and updates projections well as more data available.

Honestly my main concern is everything is reopening too soon. Im worried second peak will be bigger than first. We stopped it better than spain and italy etc did, but classic impatience and leadership wo science is again gonna hurt.

Everyone will have to make their own choices. But I do wonder if NADAC is doing financially ok off video taping, which will improve as local restrictions lifted too so more can do it, if it wouldnt be safer and easier on all the clubs to say no trials through end June. Clubs could choose to host VT fun days if they want the trial atmosphere; but it makes easier choice on everyone else than having to deal with stuff. I mean. Id hope we dont have nitjobs in agilitu but now an employee has been shot and murdered for telling a customer to wear a mask as the local laws required. People are getting super nutso about all this, sadly.
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Amy McGovern

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 08:00:26 AM »
John at least your facility has running water!  We can all wash up nicely!  (I'm hoping to come to at least 2 of your 3)
Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
I dont know about a lot of this. It is coming up here if we can start classes again. So we are thinking too!

I just have another thought re leashes - in SAR we usually get a custom length biothane lead made. There is a ring on the leash handle and it is the length of your waist (or if really skinny and want longer, two wraps). It means we always have a leash on us that is totally out of the way and quick to grab if needed since you wear it like a belt (just, not through pant loops, usually, lol).

Its quick easy out of the way and doesn't flop or snag.
I REALLY like this idea

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »
"...I just have another thought re leashes - in SAR we usually get a custom length biothane lead made. There is a ring on the leash handle and it is the length of your waist (or if really skinny and want longer, two wraps). It means we always have a leash on us that is totally out of the way and quick to grab if needed since you wear it like a belt (just, not through pant loops, usually, lol)."

I'm a little confused about how this works.  Does each handler have this type of leash?  Does the club provide them?  Please elaborate. 
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »
Another concern we have to add is staying in hotels. A lot of us arenít well to do to own an RV. I always Lysol everything in hotel rooms pre COVID, but thatís another additional concern.
Also, having to crate 6í apart?  How many places can accommodate that?  Some places in trial at, we are really tight with crating as it is. And running in a mask?  Omg. I have to wear one for 12.5 hours every shift at work. Thereís no way I could run in one and be able to breathe.
As much as Iím dying to travel, all the issues we would have to deal with seems like it makes it not very fun. Iíd love to say I hope this is on a downswing with the virus, but as a paramedic in an ER, I know that will not be the case for a long time. I might have to skip trials as much as I hate to and just do VT for awhile. Although, the travel itch is really starting to hit me. I might just take some smaller chances and just do a dog travel mini vacay later this year. I will have to see how everything plays out.
Lorrie Stelz
Kaiden: NATCH 16 V-NATCH 13 AA NATCH 5 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT BN RI URO1 MX MXJ MXF EGC TKI IT
Tripp: NATCH 9 V-NATCH 6 AA NATCH 5 BB's Embrace The Journey CD BN RN URO1 EGC TKI IT
Sketch: BB's Nothin' But A Good Time EAC EJC O-ECC TG-E BR-E HP-E WV-E TKI IT

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
"...I just have another thought re leashes - in SAR we usually get a custom length biothane lead made. There is a ring on the leash handle and it is the length of your waist (or if really skinny and want longer, two wraps). It means we always have a leash on us that is totally out of the way and quick to grab if needed since you wear it like a belt (just, not through pant loops, usually, lol)."

I'm a little confused about how this works.  Does each handler have this type of leash?  Does the club provide them?  Please elaborate. 
Linda
SAR is Search & Rescue
We work in wilderness environments, many our dogs work off leash, airscent. But you sometimes come up on cliffs, roads, trains, etc, and want to be able to quickly leash your dog. We can't just brush break deep woods carrying things, and getting stuff in and out of pack takes a second. So we get leashes sized to wear clipped around our waist. It doesn't snag or drap or get in the way. [K9NOZ is who we use. http://k9noz.com/ He does all custom work. he does have purple biothane ;)]

It was just an idea since leash runners may not happen, it's simple and very quick - faster than digging a leash out of a pocket or fannypack.

Heck you could tie your own out of paracord or something too. Just make sure to tie in the clip and loop.

paramedic in an ER, I know that will not be the case for a long time. I might have to skip trials as much as I hate to and just do VT for awhile. Although, the travel itch is really starting to hit me. I might just take some smaller chances and just do a dog travel mini vacay later this year. I will have to see how everything plays out.
So much yes. Being in SAR means knowing a lot of first responders - and *last* responders - the people who pick up & deal with the dead bodies. I won't drop my guard until the last responders are ready to relax. If you look at Alabama, our second peak is predicted to be longer and bigger than first  :-\ To me, it makes much more sense to if local areas are allowing meets, then stick just to your club and do VT days, easier to manage and keep exposure much lower than full trials where people often travel distances and hotels and eating out etc.

Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Dieselblonde

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 05:20:33 AM »
I would be happy to make fleece waist leashes if anyone is interested. My page is Bar Double R Farms on Facebook. Iím going to work on some other options for martingale and slip leashes to be able to go around the waist also. For anyone who already has an existing leash from me, check in with me and I can see if I can convert it to a waist leash for you. Thank you all and please stay safe and well!
Carolyn Rothfusz

Ed and Dino

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »

Linda
SAR is Search & Rescue
We work in wilderness environments, many our dogs work off leash, airscent. But you sometimes come up on cliffs, roads, trains, etc, and want to be able to quickly leash your dog. We can't just brush break deep woods carrying things, and getting stuff in and out of pack takes a second. So we get leashes sized to wear clipped around our waist. It doesn't snag or drap or get in the way. [K9NOZ is who we use. http://k9noz.com/ He does all custom work. he does have purple biothane ;)]

It was just an idea since leash runners may not happen, it's simple and very quick - faster than digging a leash out of a pocket or fannypack.

Heck you could tie your own out of paracord or something too. Just make sure to tie in the clip and loop.

paramedic in an ER, I know that will not be the case for a long time. I might have to skip trials as much as I hate to and just do VT for awhile. Although, the travel itch is really starting to hit me. I might just take some smaller chances and just do a dog travel mini vacay later this year. I will have to see how everything plays out.
So much yes. Being in SAR means knowing a lot of first responders - and *last* responders - the people who pick up & deal with the dead bodies. I won't drop my guard until the last responders are ready to relax. If you look at Alabama, our second peak is predicted to be longer and bigger than first  :-\ To me, it makes much more sense to if local areas are allowing meets, then stick just to your club and do VT days, easier to manage and keep exposure much lower than full trials where people often travel distances and hotels and eating out etc.

If you would like to hear Amata talk about agility and Search and Rescue.
Please check out the latest Podcast at Offcourse Agility.

https://anchor.fm/offcourse/episodes/Amata-Hinkle-from-Alabama-ed04vq

Also available on Apple Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Off Course Agility Podcast
available on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Anchor

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 06:16:09 AM »
For slip:

Martengale slip part at top
Brown is the ring - it can be floppy or woven into a fleece in the middle of neck part, and a ring at the handle join stitched/woven in.
Black is the clip. In leash mode it completes a looped handle. In waist mode it clips to the ring on the neck
For waist length when making, only count 1/2 the neck loop part!

Make sure to add 4Ē or so to your waist measurement (waist measure =: where you will wear it). - it goes over clothes - more if using woven fleece as fleece is thicker making the diameter when wearing smaller.
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Dieselblonde

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 06:20:59 AM »
That was actually my plan for both slip and martingale styles. I am going to work on them in the next day or two. I will post pictures here when I get them finished 😁

lyndav

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
Masks will be a huge issue for anyone with respiratory issues. Wearing one around outside the ring is one thing, but running in the ring with one, we may have to pick people up off the ground. Another big issue will be hotels and out-houses. Hoping conditions improve sometime this year.

Lynda, Java & Crackers

mstomel

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »
Covid isn't real great for people with respiratory issues either. They are kinda the reason we should all be wearing a mask.
Masks will be a huge issue for anyone with respiratory issues. Wearing one around outside the ring is one thing, but running in the ring with one, we may have to pick people up off the ground. Another big issue will be hotels and out-houses. Hoping conditions improve sometime this year.

Lynda, Java & Crackers

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
Great discussion.  Trials will start in some areas before others.  Sharing experiences of what worked well and not so well could be of great benefit to other clubs.  Some of the So Cal clubs have started sharing ideas, and are open to more.

Just a thought that the head of Internal Medicine at a large hospital shared with me. 
   People tend to focus on the first part of the equation.... How likely are they to contact the virus, and many feel this is rather low.  They are not spending much time time on the second part... what if I did contract the virus as was hospitalized. Now it can serious fast. For many in our society, primarily those 65 and over and those of any age with underlying conditions, the battle is going to be extremely rough.  The chances that they will end up on a ventilator in an induced coma is extremely high.   
    Note on underlying conditions...high blood pressure is considered an underlying conditions.  Also, many seemingly healthy people, of all ages, do not know they have an underlying condition.

This doctor has many dogs of her own and has emphasized that I (I'm single) must put an emergency plan in place for the care of my dogs, and do it today.  Once the call for the paramedics is placed, it too late to start making plans.  The plan needs to cover the care of the animals for many weeks, perhaps a couple months.  This is not a weekend away from home. 

Sorry for being a downer...   Again sharing ideas on how to host trials is very helpful.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

arne

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 03:41:09 PM »
One thought for an alternative to wearing masks while running might be to move the ring back a bit.  Our outdoor trials generally have plenty of room.  We could make the rings an extra 10-20' long and set the equipment toward the back.  No one needs to be near the runner. Bar setters could be stationed outside the ring a ways.  The runner could be asked to leave their masks on until they take their leash off their dog.  Not being a judge I do not know if they need be in the ring.  I know I video VTs from outside the ring and its maybe not ideal but workable?

Arne Lindberg

Dieselblonde

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 05:45:22 AM »
Here are a few prototypes for waist leashes. Please let me know your thoughts. We used them yesterday and had good feedback. They can be worn under arm and around neck diagonally.