Author Topic: Newby course reading questions  (Read 688 times)

cgammage

• Practice Makes Pawfect
Newby course reading questions
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:19:46 AM »
Being new to NADAC, I have some questions about some of what I'm seeing on the VT course maps.  I know for VTs there are no Distance Challenges or Bonus points available, but when trials start up again I want to know these things.  Thanks in advance for helping me confirm or clarify my assumptions.

On the Elite Regular courses, I see a shaded area and then a list of Bonus Sequences listed.  I assume that if you stay in the shaded area for any (or all) of the listed sequences (like 1-6), you get extra bonus points (5,10, 15 or all 20).  Correct?

On a TouchnGo course (Stuffed), I see a barrel symbol in red.  Why is it in red?  And I assume that whichever side of the barrel the number is placed is the 'entry' to going around the barrel.  Correct?
On the Stuffed TnG course it looks to be centered on the approach side so the barrel is bi-directional?

On the Hoopers course map (Spring), I see a colored (red/pink) line.  My assumption is you get bonus points for staying behind the line (when not doing VTs).  But only some of the hoops beyond the line are colored.  Can you step over the line for those still in black, but get back across the line before the dog takes a colored hoop and get the Bonus points?  (How would those be indicated on the course if course maps are not available?)
Or are all the hoops across the line supposed to be colored?

Inquiring minds want to know,
Christy
Christy

Carole & Pat Daggett

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Newby course reading questions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:51:44 AM »
Regular bonus-each listed sequence is judged separately. You can get 10 extra points if you complete all 4 sequences from the bonus area and the dog stays in flow for the entire course. You can get 5 points if you get 3.
Red barrel-I haven’t seen the course but I always make barrels red so its easier for the course builder to see. The number on the barrel indicates the entry side of the barrel.
Hoopers-The line is for the bonus (5 points) which is available at all levels. The entire course must be completed in flow with the handler behind the line. The red barrels indicates the “circle of fun”.

Pat Daggett

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:08:00 AM »
All good questions! 

1) Yes, the shaded area is a bonus box and you did get extra Q points for doing the sections correctly but not as the points you have listed. I suggest going to the Exhibitor's handbook and looking in the Bonus area to read more about rules, points, etc. There is too much to type here.  (Actually what Pat Daggett wrote is not exactly accurate about the amount of points you earn). It is best to read the Handbook because there are other factors involved with earning the amount of points.
2) The barrel is in red so it stands out on the map...no other reason. And you are correct in determining the side the dog starts on based on where the number is placed next to the barrel. A number in front does indicate a bidirectional barrel. It should also be printed that it is a bidirectional somewhere on the map.
3) The hoopers course is unique. The hoops in red is the base setup pattern for hoopers and never changes. You will see that set pattern on every hoopers course. (The small spaces courses will not have that pattern, due to restricted space). The red color helps distinguish where the pattern is set for the course builder, it is their only meaning. As far as the line goes, the line will get you an extra 5 Q points if your dog can do all the obstacles above the line and you not stepping over the line during the entire run. Also the dog must run without spinning, stopping or going off course throughout the entire course to earn the extra 5 points.   

Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

cgammage

• Practice Makes Pawfect
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:58:20 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  Looking at the bonus section in the rule book, is it accurate to state it something like this?
In Regular classes for sections completed successfully:
   4 sections = 25
   3 sections = 20
   2 sections = 15
Non-regular classes staying behind the bonus line gets you 15.
In all classes with a successful bonus, DRI over 100 gets you +5.

Christy

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 09:58:15 PM »
Actually the points go like this:
4 sections = 25  Bonus
3 sections = 15  Bonus
2 sections =  15  Distance Challenge

Over 100 DRI is + 5
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:01:56 PM by Marj Vincent »
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."