Author Topic: A Good Dog Got a Good Home!  (Read 1116 times)

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
A Good Dog Got a Good Home!
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Hi All,
Just wanted to share some NADAC Rescue news.  As you can see by the subject line, one of our rescue dogs recently got a new home.  Our heartfelt thanks go to Ed Scharringhausen and Cathy Kuebler for fostering a big, unruly dog!

At the time I went to meet a volunteer to pick up Gunner, NADAC was told he was "on the small side, around 25 lbs."  I figured a 200+ size crate would get him home.  Imagine my surprise when he turned out to be 40+ lbs of sheer, ill-mannered energy.  There I was, driving Sharon's Crown Vic with a dog that didn't fit in the crate I had in the back seat.  He absolutely couldn't ride loose as he was bouncing, mouthing, jumping and flinging himself everywhere!  I ended up tying him in the back seat and crossed my fingers that I'd make the 30 minute trip home without him chewing himself loose.

Gunner was at our Oklahoma facility for several months.  At each trial he'd make his appearance and "work it" for exhibitors.  While there was interest and a number of leads on good homes, nothing panned out for him.  However, he was learning some important manners like how to walk on a leash without tripping the person holding the other end, and he no longer clawed his way up the front of people when greeting them!  Over the years, Cathy and Ed frequently helped us with rescue dogs by walking them, grooming them, feeding, scooping, and just giving them some quality one-on-one time.  They agreed to foster Gunner as we were packing up to make the big move.

During the 4 months that Ed and Cathy had Gunner in their care, he learned so much.  He learned how to be a companion and what a couch was for.  He got to take trips to agility trials in the travel trailer with his 6 foster sibs and he met lots of new people in interesting places.  He also learned some important life skills, like come when called, sit, down, etc.

It took some months, but Gunner has found his forever home.  Ed and Cathy are keeping in touch and NADAC gets updated reports on how he is doing.

For those who do rescue, you know the joy of making a good match between a dog and family, but you also know the sadness of parting with a dog you care for.  This is a quote from an e-mail from Ed, "The Big, gangly, once ill-mannered BC/Golden Mix really learned a lot in just 3-4 months and now he is gone.  The highs of happiness for him and his Awesome new owner, the low of sadness from knowing how he will be missed."

Thank you to those who continue to support the rescue efforts. 

Becky on behalf of NADAC Rescue
Becky Woodruff

Cheryl Gilbert

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: A Good Dog Got a Good Home!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
So glad Gunner found a good home.  Cari (my daughter) really wanted him and pushed for it but he just wasn't the right fit for our house at this time.  Glad he found the right spot.
Cheryl Gilbert with
Emmy and Allie
Rachel, Becky, Twinkles, Honey, Lucky, Wally, Benny and Daisy waiting on the other side....

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
Hurray!  Good for Gunnar!  Thank you for sharing this nice story.  And kudos to Ed and Cathy, and NADAC Rescue.  Having fostered dogs three times for our local shelter, I found the same thing, it's a bit sad when they leave but it's great knowing you helped them be a bit better prepared to succeed in their new home!  -Heidi & Penny in NH
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
Love it! 
Lee Anne

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
It's always good news to know a foster has found his or her furever home.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!