Author Topic: Stakes Qualification Opportunities  (Read 2012 times)

TeamHeavyMetal

Stakes Qualification Opportunities
« on: September 27, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
Good evening NADAC crew:

I was hoping you could help me.  I have a young boy that has potential to be a Stakes dog.  I am interested in trying to get him qualified for 2021 Champs Starter Stakes.  I understand we need to get 5 qualifying runs with a minimum of TWO bonus sequences in each run.  But I have several questions regarding this:

1) how do we know when bonuses are going to be offered at each trial?
2) if we don't know how many are offered at each trial, how can we plan to attend specific trials to get our quals?
3) are there any criteria that have to be met on video specific to making this a qualification?
4) and while I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, I have had it asked to me several times so just want it on record.  The runs where we hit both bonus sequences, do they have to be a Q run? Or can it be a non-Q but the bonuses were met?
5) do the bonuses ONLY count if you complete a Regular Run? Or does a weavers run count that includes a bonus box?

I appreciate any help I can receive in clearing this up. I would like to try and qualify but do not have access to unlimited NADAC trials throughout the year.  So waiting to see if the few trials I can hit yearly will have enough bonus runs for qualifying may not yield the proper amount of bonuses.  How do I guarantee I have enough opportunity?

Thanks a ton!

Carolynn and Six

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
Re: Stakes Qualification Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »
Good evening NADAC crew:

I was hoping you could help me.  I have a young boy that has potential to be a Stakes dog.  I am interested in trying to get him qualified for 2021 Champs Starter Stakes.  I understand we need to get 5 qualifying runs with a minimum of TWO bonus sequences in each run.  But I have several questions regarding this:

1) how do we know when bonuses are going to be offered at each trial?
2) if we don't know how many are offered at each trial, how can we plan to attend specific trials to get our quals?
3) are there any criteria that have to be met on video specific to making this a qualification?
4) and while I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, I have had it asked to me several times so just want it on record.  The runs where we hit both bonus sequences, do they have to be a Q run? Or can it be a non-Q but the bonuses were met?
5) do the bonuses ONLY count if you complete a Regular Run? Or does a weavers run count that includes a bonus box?

I appreciate any help I can receive in clearing this up. I would like to try and qualify but do not have access to unlimited NADAC trials throughout the year.  So waiting to see if the few trials I can hit yearly will have enough bonus runs for qualifying may not yield the proper amount of bonuses.  How do I guarantee I have enough opportunity?

Thanks a ton!

Carolynn and Six

Here are some short answers - someone might one to give you more detailed ones ....
1. You don't.  Completely depends on the courses that the judge brings with them.
2. You don't.  You just enter as many trials as you can.  Most of the regular courses these days have bonuses - though I'm sure there are some exceptions.
3.  Video needs to capture from start to finish with you in view as much as possible.  Contacts should also be in view under most circumstances.  If there is any uncertainty about a contact then you might not get credit.
4.Has to be a Q run.  Not even a 5 point fault for knocked bar or over time (I don't think)
5. Has to be Regular runs for Champs Stakes qualifications.  No other classes count.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
Marcy answered everything correct except for #4.  The knocked bar or over time still gives you a Q in Regular.  So Those are ok BUT the sequence the knocked bar is in is an invalid sequence.  And the over time one you would get credit for the "bonus sequences" and the 5 pts you earned for the Reg Q.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

TeamHeavyMetal

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 06:31:11 PM »
Thank you both for those answers. I was fearful those would be the answers I received. Sigh....

I appreciate you taking time to give me the answers. Have a great night.

SonjaE

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that - I found this example confusing in the regulations,  while the rules state it must be a clean run, this seems to open the door to the possibility of being able to get some of the bonus challenges. A missed contact would be a non qualifying run wouldn’t it? So why would anything else matter after that? Help me understand.

Scenario #1:
 The dog has faulted sequence #1 before the #6 jump, let's say a missed contact at the #2 obstacle.
 This means the first sequence is failed. If the dog also knocks the #6 jump, then the #2 sequence will
 be failed as well.

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that - I found this example confusing in the regulations,  while the rules state it must be a clean run, this seems to open the door to the possibility of being able to get some of the bonus challenges. A missed contact would be a non qualifying run wouldn’t it? So why would anything else matter after that? Help me understand.

Scenario #1:
 The dog has faulted sequence #1 before the #6 jump, let's say a missed contact at the #2 obstacle.
 This means the first sequence is failed. If the dog also knocks the #6 jump, then the #2 sequence will
 be failed as well.

That is definitely a slight typo in the rulebook. A missed contact would be an NQ and therefore negate all bonus sequences.

Sorry about the confusion, we will get that example updated ASAP!

SonjaE

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »
Thanks for clarifying! It was wishful thinking.