Author Topic: Winter and Covid  (Read 2060 times)

Karin Bell

• Judge
Winter and Covid
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:29:37 AM »
Hello everyone...

While the weather in California does not feel like Fall yet, it is right around the corner.  With this change, comes all the warnings from the CDC about Covid and concerns about the virus spreading.  At this time, Masks are not required when running your dog.  Will Clubs who have indoor trials be changing that ruling?  Will clubs with hybrid locations like WAG in Elk Grove that is open to air on two sides, require masks?  I know that CPE requires masks all the time, even when running your dog and judging the Trial.  I know there is no one answer for all but I wanted to get a feel for how other areas are planning on moving forward.   Of course, the goal is to stay safe and every State has its own set of rules.  I wanted to share this discussion with the clubs in my area.

Thanks in advance.
Karin Bell
Auburn, CA
In the Heart of California's Gold Country

Amy McGovern

Re: Winter and Covid
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
It would be great if it could be mandated.  Barn hunt also mandated it and it made it much easier to go back!  We haven't gone to an indoor NADAC show since February and I am worried about the upcoming one that we want to attend because, without a mandate, a lot of people are going to ignore the masks.  I would like to see leadership on this from NADAC!
Amy and the schnauzers

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »
In Minnesota we have a state wide mask mandate for indoors.  Even so there are people putting their own spin on things to ignore it.  Most are good, but not all. 

I've made the decision that I won't be participating in any indoor events this winter even with the mask mandate.  I'm just not that comfortable being around a bunch of people for 8 hours with this all going on.  I can wait until we're outside again.  Back in the good old days we had 1 trial between October and late April.

Gina Pizzo

Rena Bonem

• Trial Secretary
    • Baylor University Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
Currently Waco (TX) Agility Group's November trial allows the handler to run without a mask.  The only other person who may pull their mask down in the person who is announcing the dog on the line which is done using a microphone outside the ring at a distance from everyone else.  The facility we are using has been having agility trials almost every weekend since late August.  Some of the trials have had 700 runs per day.  Ours will be less than half that size and will have about 1/4 the number of handlers because it will be a one ring trial set in 2 rings.  There is a well established protocol and everyone else has to wear a mask or they will be asked to leave.  We are hoping to use the Agility Gate App so that no one needs to be near the gate until it is time to run.  There will be four people in the ring:  the judge, the handler, a leash person - bar setter and a bar setter.  Timer-Scribe and Gate announcer are outside the ring away from the gates.  Entrance and exit doors will be marked as such so there is one way traffic.  Leash grabbers are dipped after each use.  Hand sanitizer, gloves, face masks, and wipes will be located around the arena.  Bleachers are gone to allow much more crate space, people and dogs are socially distant.  Ribbons and stickers are not self serve.  We have learned by watching and working trials offered by other venues and trying to adopt their best practices.  So far this has been successful.  Of course, things could change by Thanksgiving and if they do, we will change.  The facility washes everything down and bathrooms are sanitized throughout the day.  I was hesitant at first, but am much more comfortable attending trials at the Bell County Expo Center than I am going to my curbside grocery pickups.

Rena
Rena Bonem, Trial Secretary Waco Agility Group
Brady and Lady Bug, Goldie: under couch potato, and Lucy, Will'em, and Tess, my agility angels

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 01:32:53 PM »
  We just had our first NADAC trial since February in Southern California.  Everyone was great.  They worked hard to follow all the special Covid guidelines.  This try was outdoors.  We has a small area boxed in just outside the ring at the entrance and exit gates.  People were to stay at least 6 ft back.  This area allowed the handler going in a chance to take off, put their mask away and get a few breaths of fresh air (it was terribly hot last weekend).  The exit box, gave them their personal space to get their masks on, finish fastening harnesses, or simply get organized before walking out.  It worked great and help keep the trial moving.

All the sites in Southern California are outdoors, except 1 that is a covered arena, open on all sides.  I would like to leave the requirement to wear a face mask while running up to the club and local authority (including site owners).  I think there are too many variable to make a blank requirement. 

I left my mask on during one run and realized my senior dog was not hearing my commands when he was at the far end of the ring. I quickly pulled the mask and he could hear me again.  Older folks don't yell as loud and older dogs do not hear as well, as in our younger days. LOL
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
Our Nadac trials at Canine New England with Addicted to Agility have all been with masks required by the venue.  Dogs crated outdoors in cars.   And limited people in the building.  It might be tough as it gets colder but distance  socializing and with masks in the parking lot was not so bad. Running with a mask is doable and our dogs seem to have adapted to it.  After all, we practice running silently sometimes anyway.
Martha G.