Author Topic: course design questions  (Read 1602 times)

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
course design questions
« on: December 10, 2020, 03:19:06 AM »
With judges designing their own courses, even with limited trialing this year, I have seen some new challenges/angles to obstacles that I have not seen nor trained for.

It would be extremely helpful as a trainer and exhibitor if we knew the course design parameters.    Would you please create a video like you did a few years ago about course design?

What are the acceptable entrances and exits for weave entrances?  Contact entrances?  Tunnel entrances?
It was very helpful last time when you explained the difference with hoops vs jumps and various angles.
What are the acceptable angles of jumps?
What is the minimum/maximum distance between obstacles?
Anything else we should know?
Thank you so much
lisa
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Margaret MacEwen

Re: course design questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »
Great question Lisa!  I would also like to know, not only for myself and my own training but for my students and those I am encouraging to prepare for NADAC trials in the HOPEFULLY near future.  I am always up for a challenge but like to know parameters in advance.

Margaret MacEwen
Crew and Jersey

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
I think this would be a great series!

It will probably take some time to get all done, but I think doing a series of videos would be best.   That way it won't be a 6 hour video, and also if things change it'll be easier to just update a single 20 minute video, rather than a giant one.

We'll add it to the to do list!

We can cover everything you listed above first, any other criteria that folks would be interested in knowing?

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »
I think this would be a great series!

It will probably take some time to get all done, but I think doing a series of videos would be best.   That way it won't be a 6 hour video, and also if things change it'll be easier to just update a single 20 minute video, rather than a giant one.

We'll add it to the to do list!

We can cover everything you listed above first, any other criteria that folks would be interested in knowing?
I would be interested in why a hoop wrap is chosen vs a barrel if that obstacle is only taken once.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »

I would be interested in why a hoop wrap is chosen vs a barrel if that obstacle is only taken once.
Linda

Linda,
There really is no answer as to 'why' a judge choses the challenge of a hoop wrap test vs the challenge of barrel performance test. They are two different test challenges. And the hoop wrap was the judge's choice on that particular course.  Both performances change the direction of the dog, but both have different test challenges.

I personally find the hoop wrap to be more challenging than a barrel performance because there is potential for an off course (going backwards thru the hoop). I am sure there are multiple reasons 'why' a judge choses one challenge over another but nothing you can pinpoint. Why they chose the pinwheel, vs a 180 turn....it's all the judges choice what they want in their course.
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »
Thanks Chris
I look forward to it :)
Lisa
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes