Author Topic: Thanks for using the new forum over Old list  (Read 3371 times)

Ed and Dino

Thanks for using the new forum over Old list
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »
I still get the NADAC yahoo list in digest mode but this month, I feel there have been way too many post there. I don't want to unsubcribe and lose access to past info but do feel too many post are being made there. And it is not from new people who may have just read a premium for the first time with old info.

We were headed in the right direction as shown in the following message count from the list:
2012  May  766,  Jun  407,  Jul  175,  Aug  197

BUT August is not over and is trending much higher. It is annoying to see posts in both places.
Please just use the forum.

THANK YOU to all who now only post here in the forum.
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Off Course Agility Podcast
available on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Anchor

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: Thanks for using the new forum over Old list
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:24:08 AM »
I still get the NADAC yahoo list in digest mode but this month, I feel there have been way too many post there. I don't want to unsubcribe and lose access to past info but do feel too many post are being made there.

Hi, Ed and Dino.  I understand the problem but sometimes it's easier to alter things for yourself than to try to ask possibly several thousand people to change.

So, here's and idea.  You can go back into Yahoo groups and change your preference from Digest to Web only.  That way you'll not get the digest showing up but you can go the to group to read anything you want.  That's the only way I've ever done it and I can see anything I want from archives without being bothered with anything I don't want.

That should do the trick for you and you won't have to rely on something you can't control.
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup waiting at the Bridge

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
I totally agree with Richard.  Set to no email and go to the yahoo groups website to get any info you want.

Sorry to have been one to annoy you with my double posting, but there seeems to more people using the old yahoo group than the new forum.  I think that will continue until Sharon decides that there will be no more posting on the yahoo group.

Gina Pizzo

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
Hi Ed & Dino!

Sympatico.  I've used Richard's suggestion for a long time and I like how I can use it rather than it "using" me.

On the other paw, there are only 1,491 members using the Forum while there are 5,895 subscribed to the Yahoo list that was first set to expire during July of 2012.

Now THAT is a problem that needs to be addressed; but I guess that we can't put a gun to anyone's head to force them to subscribe and transfer to using the Forum, so I guess that we'll for forced to wait until the stragglers are left with absolutely NO OTHER OPTION than to join . . .

While it's a nuisance for us, I can't imagine the PITA that it is for Sharon, Chris and the other NADAC moderators to monitor both lists, reply as needed . . . for all that the NADAC stuff does for us, shouldn't we ALL being doing stuff to make it easier on them???

Hugs & wags,

Al & Pellinore in Ohio
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Cris Larson

• Train 'Em Tasks
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
You're welcome.  ;)

I've never been a big fan of Yahoo Groups. I have a couple of different groups I still belong to on there. I never really responded or participated on them because of the emails and they were a pain to read. Anytime a group switches to a message board like this, I'm all over it.  ;D
Cris and her rottweilers:
- URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP C-CD OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
- Ocean RE OJP OAP XFP PD SPS SPJ APG SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
I am actually someone who posts in both places- but only the trial announcement posts.   The reason I do post in both is to reach the most people I can- while I prefer the forum I realize that not everyone is on the forum and I want to make sure as many people as possible get the information about our trials.

So until the Yahoo group is no more my trial information posts will be in both places.

Mary P.

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »
I'm not unsubscribing from the Yahoo group because I'm too worried that I'd miss something that won't get posted here.  And I'm not going to visit those archaic forum lists manually each day.

I think it would be exceptionally helpful if Sharon et al would stop replying to every post on that list because I feel that only makes people justified in continuing to post there.  Perhaps if the response was more along the lines of, "That's a great question!  Please visit the NADAC Forum at www.nadacforum.com for a complete answer to your inquiry," well, maybe it would push more people over here.  That would get past the whole, "the premiums still say to go to the Yahoo Group" debate and still push people over to the forum if they actually want their questions answered.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Pam Kaye

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:51:35 PM »
I finally cut the cord about a month ago, just assuming that I'd hear anything I needed to hear on this forum, and trying to 'walk the walk' wrt changing over.  I'm enjoying the forum so much and find it so easy to navigate.  And the only people who tell me they 'just can't remember to check the forum' all agree that it's a personal problem, having to do with the part where they can't get the emails sent directly into their inbox.  Since I never did that - not a personal problem for me.
Pam Kaye
Cash, Cirrus and Flame
Sequim, WA

Ed and Dino

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
This is a general reply to all these responses. I know I could set my preference to "no email" but as Al said unless you actually unsubscribe the list still shows you as one of the 5,895 subscribed members.

This bogus count then encourages people to post to supposedly reach more people but for a NJ trial or a trial anywhere to post to the NADAC list to reach 5895 people not knowing how many actual still get the email, not considering how many are local to the trials locale is just a shot in the dark at advertising.

I know the real solution is for Sharon and NADAC to just stop approving the Posts on the List or respond to every poster to put post over here.

In time the other list will no longer show up in my Inbox or I will change to the NO EMAIL preference and no longer see the double posts.

BUT I return to what I intially said.

I thank everyone who is only posting in this forum!
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
I will do my best to start encouraging everyone to move over here.

Currently writing a note that I will send out each Monday saying to come over yonder.

And any questions that are asked I will copy, paste and respond to over here.

I can't do much about the brag posts, or the trial posts.

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »
This bogus count then encourages people to post to supposedly reach more people but for a NJ trial or a trial anywhere to post to the NADAC list to reach 5895 people not knowing how many actual still get the email, not considering how many are local to the trials locale is just a shot in the dark at advertising.

Ed- and that is a shot in the dark I am willing to take- because everyone once in a while even a blind squirrel finds a nut  :D.   The numbers for our NADAC trials are never very high- and if posting to the NADAC Yahoo Group gets me one more entry that makes difference for us.   We need all the entries we can get in order to keep hosting NADAC trials in Northern NJ.  So you'll have to forgive me but until the Yahoo Group is no more my trial announcements are going to be in both spots- and on every other Yahoo Group I am on that allows trial announcement postings.

Mary
Mary P.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 09:57:16 AM »

I know the real solution is for Sharon and NADAC to just stop approving the Posts on the List or respond to every poster to put post over here.

I thank everyone who is only posting in this forum!

We do have a "lapse" period.... there are still MANY premiums out there that instruct people to join the Yahoo group for information and posts for NADAC.  We continue to post that there is a "better" connection via the forum.... but it is very bad business to have older approved premiums that tell people to join the Yahoo group and then totally ignore them with their first ever attempt at communication with NADAC.

The old adage of "being part of the solution" helps also!  Occasionally someone from the forum could post a nice message about how much better the forum is over the Yahoo group!!

I answer 100-400 emails a day and to always have to remember to get people switched to the forum is overlooked.  And I refuse to not approve posts when there are 15-20 new Yahoo members each week because they are doing exactly what their trial premium told them to do!

Once every premium out there has changed over to telling people to sign up for the forum, then we can de-activate the forum.   Until then, we will promote the forum, but we won't ignore new members to the Yahoo group.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Ed and Dino

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »

The old adage of "being part of the solution" helps also!  Occasionally someone from the forum could post a nice message about how much better the forum is over the Yahoo group!!

I answer 100-400 emails a day and to always have to remember to get people switched to the forum is overlooked.  And I refuse to not approve posts when there are 15-20 new Yahoo members each week because they are doing exactly what their trial premium told them to do!

Once every premium out there has changed over to telling people to sign up for the forum, then we can de-activate the forum.   Until then, we will promote the forum, but we won't ignore new members to the Yahoo group.

Sharon

I totally understand the problem and what you are saying. I don't want your workload to increase.

And perhaps at the risk of increasing the message count on the old list, I will occasionally post a message saying the Grass is greener over here.
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
And perhaps at the risk of increasing the message count on the old list, I will occasionally post a message saying the Grass is greener over here

That would be perfect!

Hopefully the pain of having two will end in the near future!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
I too have noticed that the participation on the yahoo list was waning, but it is now increasing now that it is clearwill not go anywhere for awhile. For multiple reasons,I think some people will remain on the yahoo list until it is no longer active.

I don't think that me (or groups of us) urging people to come here would have an impact.  And to me the list or the forum is a method of disseminating information.  Which one is is used does not matter to me, but if one is more efficient and easier for NADAC, that's the one they should use and promote. It would be nice to have only one source of information of dissemination, though.

I would think if the yahoo list has to remain open for whatever reason, a message should redirect new people here.  Better to have them make the change at once, rather than have these 15-20 people a week become used to one system, and then have to move and adapt to a new system.

But it is not my decision or in my power to change.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:38:53 AM by Sheila & the Shelties »
Sheila & the Shelties